• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Wind Tunnel"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just a nickname

I got two of these crappy fan (cooler master R4):

img00530201101291309.jpg

And I have nothing to do with them.

There's a nice possibility to do a "wind tunnel" pulling air directly to the heatsink

img00527201101291305.jpg

I'd just have to install the fan like that:

img00529201101291308.jpg

I've bought a piece of plastic to do a cylinder to link the two fans together so like this the airflow should be even stronger and directly go on the heatsink. I don't have much idea how to fix the fan to the cylinder however. I was thinking at wood pieces with a hole of 120mm of diameter and some screw holes to fix the fan on them. I'd just have to put some glue and fix the cylinder on the wood pieces.

I can't explain much these kind of details as English isn't my native language but if you have the main idea in mind and got better suggestion I'd greatly appreciate any input!

How to fit them together? Duct tape!

Hehe might worths to try. I am curious to see how well it improve the airflow.

But let me show you an other point of view:

img00532201101291409.jpg

The best would be that the first fan is in front sucking air through the dust filter and the last one the closer to the heatsink...

I used crazy/super glue to attach the 2 fan housings together. Worked like a charm! ;) Of course they both have to be the same size in order for this method to work.

Did you put something between? Because I used some tape to hold them together and the noise is annoying. I suspect that the fans are interfering each other. My guess is that one "want" to go faster while the other (the one pulling the air) cannot as the air resistance slows it.
The result is a super fan pushing a **** load of air (reduced of 3C the temperature) but the noise is disagreeable (like a constant "zuuuuu").

Whatever, thanks for the suggestions. I have already cut some wood piece of 130x130 and began to do the hole of 120mm diameter. I'll see what it gives ;) I wish the noise will be reduced.

So you're saying you want to use your two 120mm fans, with a cylinder of ducting between them, to direct air through your CD drive bays to your Heatsink? And you'd also like advice on how to secure the fans to the 'duct-work' of the cylinder, as it were?

Back