• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 950 Overclock North Bridge Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quol

Hello All,

This is my first post here.

I looked around, but had some trouble finding some answers, so I thought I would ask this.

I have a new rig that is being setup, and I am going for a mild-ish overclock to run 24x7 stable.

The new rig is as follows:

Case/PSU: Antec P-193 Case / Antec CP-1000
Air Cooler: Noctua C-14
Mobo: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Ram: 12GB Kingston 1333 (9-9-9-24)

I am running it with a BCLK of 166 and a multiplier of x23 which gives me a prime95 24 hour stable test of 3.8Ghz with each core maxing out at 70 celcius (highest temp recorded by coretemp). idle is around 38. The "CPU" temp is around 60 celcius at full load (from tools that just give you a single CPU temp - I guess this is somewhat similar to the Tcase temp - not the Tj temps that core/real temp report). Vcore is 1.225v, QPI/Vtt is 1.275v, CPU/PLL remains at the default 1.80v, IOH Core is 1.14v.

With all of that set, the North Bridge Frequency is 3.3Ghz...is that safe? Since I can't really monitor the temp of the North Bridge, can I assume that if the CPU's temp remains where it is, and the system remains stable, that it should be OK?

I ask because I have come across various articles on i7 overclocks which stated that the maximum stable frequency for the on die North Bridge is around 3Ghz..since I am over that, was just wondering if it is OK or not.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Hello All,

This is my first post here.

I looked around, but had some trouble finding some answers, so I thought I would ask this.

I have a new rig that is being setup, and I am going for a mild-ish overclock to run 24x7 stable.

The new rig is as follows:

Case/PSU: Antec P-193 Case / Antec CP-1000
Air Cooler: Noctua C-14
Mobo: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Ram: 12GB Kingston 1333 (9-9-9-24)

I am running it with a BCLK of 166 and a multiplier of x23 which gives me a prime95 24 hour stable test of 3.8Ghz with each core maxing out at 70 celcius (highest temp recorded by coretemp). idle is around 38. The "CPU" temp is around 60 celcius at full load (from tools that just give you a single CPU temp - I guess this is somewhat similar to the Tcase temp - not the Tj temps that core/real temp report). Vcore is 1.225v, QPI/Vtt is 1.275v, CPU/PLL remains at the default 1.80v, IOH Core is 1.14v.

With all of that set, the North Bridge Frequency is 3.3Ghz...is that safe? Since I can't really monitor the temp of the North Bridge, can I assume that if the CPU's temp remains where it is, and the system remains stable, that it should be OK?

I ask because I have come across various articles on i7 overclocks which stated that the maximum stable frequency for the on die North Bridge is around 3Ghz..since I am over that, was just wondering if it is OK or not.

Thanks for any thoughts.

North bridge at 3.3Ghz? You mean the QPI or the Uncore? And yes, either way, it's safe. If you nean the QPI it's not measured in Ghz it's GT/S (giga transfers per second)

Why not raise your bclk and lower your multi?

Why you using 1333mhz RAM with such loose timings?

Thanks for the reply,

North bridge at 3.3Ghz? You mean the QPI or the Uncore? And yes, either way, it's safe. If you nean the QPI it's not measured in Ghz it's GT/S (giga transfers per second)

well, in CPU-Z "NB Frequency" on the memory tab is at 3.3+ Ghz that's what I am talking about. Thx for the confirmation that it should be safe though.

Why not raise your bclk and lower your multi? Why you using 1333mhz RAM with such loose timings?

I made a big mistake when I purchased the RAM in the first place, I should have gotten 1600 at least, but initially wan't thinking about overclocking, and the RAM was on special, 12GB for 85$...so I bought it..and now i am regretting it a little bit.

If I increase the bclk and lower the multi I exceed the RAM speed pretty fast. I even tried lowering the Memory multiplier, but I didn't really get favorable results. I am thinking about replacing the ram with two sets of these:

http://www.patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=5&catid=76&prodgroupid=126&id=971&type=1

That should allow me to lower the multi and increase the bclk which would push the memory speed up higher...really regretting the crappy memory purchase now (also, I am running loose timings as that is pretty much all the memory supports at 1.5v and DDR Frequencies above 600 Mhz). If I want to tighten the timings up, I will have to drop the DDR frequency to 500ish Mhz.

Back