• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How will Sandybridge affect mid end graphics prices?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaveHCYJ

So it seems like Sandybridge has been pulled from the market at least temporarily. Newegg has pulled both processors and mobos, other places have pulled mobos, and it sounds like the fix could me a month or two away. Link for those that haven't seen it yet.

Since the GTX 560 launch, 6950 1GB launch, 6870 price cut, and 6950 2GB price cut were all targeting the Sandybridge launch and all the new computers that would be built, what do you think it will mean for prices now that Sandybridge has been pulled from the market?

From an economics standpoint, lower demand means lower prices. However it seems like 6950 1GB production hadn't even ramped up yet so it may not be affected anyway. AMD had originally been targeting a Febuary date for that card. I don't see a pricedrop in the 2GB version's future, the price is just too close to the 1GB version already. The GTX 560 seems to have a decent supply, so I could see a price drop on it. Especially since most reviews have hit it for being a "great card, but just normal value wise considering the AMD price drop". Do you think prices will remain flat as manufactures build up some inventory waiting for the rerelease of Sandybridge or will they try to grab customers now while they can by lowering prices?

Obviously with Sandybridge off the market some people may just opt for AMD or a Socket 1356 Intel, but given the circumstances surely there will be some drop in demand.

Thanks for the information, when I saw some posts hitting the 5ghz on air I was some tempted to spend the extra money. I'm glad I waited.

It's very disappointing for me, I always liked intel better than amd but even with all my love for intel, i can't justify a mistake like this.

At least intel did the right thing by pulling the product and not alloing it to be sold until the issue is fixed, and also manning up to their mistake.

I aswell have had amazing experiances with intel and i will justify spending a little more on a processor i can trust. Im not saying intel is better than AMD im just saying intel is the brand i choose for processors.

Wait... what does SB have to do with these GPUs? The iGPU on these are not meant to compete with the cards. I dont get how there will be a drop in demand of the GPU market b/c of this Intel snafu (which people are making a much bigger deal than this really is). There are still plenty of platforms, in fact all of them that can use these GPUs well. I dont believe the mainstream market are targeting these high end GPU's... I would be shocked if there is any change in pricing solely b/c of this issue.

I mean, you are saying, that b/c The F150 isnt selling anymore, tonneu cover sales will suffer. There are still PLENTY of vehicles that need Tonneu covers.

It may or may not have an affect, I was just wondering what people thought.

The GTX 560 was targeted at the mid end price range and was targeted to be available at the same time as the Sandybridge release when there was a surge in new computer builds also in the mid end price range (CPUs in the 200-300 range). The AMD responces were in reaction to the 560.

The demand shift may not be huge, but I'm sure there are once again people putting off builds because "just wait for sandy bridge it will be available soon" which has been an all too common phrase around here the past couple months.

I certainly don't think the graphics market as a whole will be affected. I was just pondering the implications for the mid end market (560, and AMD reactions) that seemed to be targeting the Sandybridge surge.

Its an imperfect analogy, but in your F150 example, sure the Tonneu cover market as a whole might not be affected, but what about products that were marketed towards the F150?

Food for thought.

Agreed on your F150 retort...But those/any GPU's werent marketed towards towards Intel SB directly, so the affect it has would be negligable at best. PLENTY of system out for these cards. OEM's will have to move back to S1366 in the meantime...maybe? So the market is still there, just with one less truck. ;)

Last edited:
Back