Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray
Forum Jump

How do Raid Array's work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 02:18 AM Thread Starter   #1
Kohta

How do Raid Array's work?

I understand the basics of how it is set up, and what it gives, but here's where i am confused. I set up 2 HDD's in my PC, i enabled RAID0 (my only choice with 2 HDDs) on the BIOS and i was expecting to jump into my windows with 600GB+300GB, instead, the 300GB HDD was invisible, infact more of my formated 600GB space was unavailable versus it riding solo, there was also absolutly no performance gain, this was on a fresh Windows 7 x64 install.

I wanted to RAID 2 1TB HDDs in my PC to FRAPS some gameplay without it dropping to 20fps. I also wanted to do this same setup in my wife's PC because she draws, and her Photoshop documents are 1.3-1.9GBs each, she draws at high resolutions, like 5000x5000.

I was using the above Hard drives to test out how it would work, and if i dropped $400 in Hard drives and 2 just dissapear, i'd be extremly mad.
Kohta is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-01-11, 02:35 AM   #2
Dell Guy

If you raided a 600GB+300GB the raid array would fault to the smaller size drive. So that would be right about 600GB in raid 0. There is also no performance boost because the raid faults to the slower drive. Raid should only be done on identical drives.

Sata 2 barracuda 7200.12
Geforce 7600 GT
Dell Guy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-01-11, 02:51 AM Thread Starter   #3
Kohta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dell Guy View Post
If you raided a 600GB+300GB the raid array would fault to the smaller size drive. So that would be right about 600GB in raid 0. There is also no performance boost because the raid faults to the slower drive. Raid should only be done on identical drives.
Oh i see now, so 2x1TB drives will appear as a single 2TB drive? I only used the other 2 to see if it would effect anything, but yeah the 300GB drive was a 2.5" drive i use in my PS3, and it's definatly slower.
Kohta is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-01-11, 03:02 AM   #4
jaymz9350

Correct 2x 1TB drives in RAID 0 will net you 2TB usable.
jaymz9350 is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray