• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting new led tv for pc monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jazon1

ok im going out to get a new led tv to use as my pc monitor the lcd im using now has been acting up a little so for valentines the wife is getting me a new one=)) im looking for a 46" ,at least 120 hz ,side lit led preferable 4,000,000-1 contrast.so far ive looked at the sharp aquos quattron but now have heard there extra 4th pixel(yellow) can actually distort the image some cuz images are recorded in RBG so the colors can actually be worst on it than a standard three color pixel tv so i have that tv on hold,i also looked at the new sony google tv's very cool but only 60 hz ive heard alot of good things about the samsungs but the ones i like that are side lit cost about $1300 and id like to stay in the $1000 range beside for $1500 i could have a sony 240hz 46" bravia with ps3 and two pairs of 3d glasses from sams. you guys know of any other good tv's for about the $1000 price range or know of any good valentines day sales that will have a good tv included in there sale?or any other brands wirth looking at besides sony,sharp,and samsung?

Just to confirm, you plan on using this as a full-on TV setup as well? If not, there are some much sexier monitors in that price range than a meager 1920 x 1080 ;)

I got an LG plasma 1920x1080 600Hz for $699 on boxing day (and that's in canada so I am sure less south of the border) as a PC screen and it's great.

For $1000 there would be a ton of choices out there :)

Just to confirm, you plan on using this as a full-on TV setup as well? If not, there are some much sexier monitors in that price range than a meager 1920 x 1080 ;)

yea ill be using it as a tv in my office as well for my ps3 and xbox

Side lit is not your friend. Look up the benefits of a local dimming full array.
i looked at a few of the full array and compared them to the newer side lit models and i couldn't see the difference for contrast or black levels,and the side lit models just look so much more sleek lol,but ill take another look at the full arrays before i buy ty=))

i looked at a few of the full array and compared them to the newer side lit models and i couldn't see the difference for contrast or black levels,and the side lit models just look so much more sleek lol,but ill take another look at the full arrays before i buy ty=))

Did you watch them in a very dark room with a dark scene like night time with stars?

I'm actually in the same situation right now except i am leaning more towards a 42" since i will only be sitting about 6' from the screen and am leaning towards a full array LED.

Vizeo has a few nice models that might be worth looking into. I haven't bought a TV yet as I am still in the research stage as well but i will make sure to keep an eye on this thread.

I'm actually in the same situation right now except i am leaning more towards a 42" since i will only be sitting about 6' from the screen and am leaning towards a full array LED.

Vizeo has a few nice models that might be worth looking into. I haven't bought a TV yet as I am still in the research stage as well but i will make sure to keep an eye on this thread.
actually visio got some really good reviews im just not sure about the company,in comparison they are a fairly new company to the market when compared to sony,sharp,samsung but like i said i have heard some good things about them for the money.but i think ill be sticking with one of the major brands myself

was just looking at tv's again tonight and the 3d sony i was looking at Sony KDL46NX810 has local dimming and it is side lit,maybe this is why i hadn't seen a difference in the full array cuz the side lit offer local dimming now also?

I know this isn't a side lit led model but I just got a samsung LN46C650 and couldn't be happier. If you have a chance take a look at this next to a side lit led model. In my opinoin the contrast was much better on this model then the side lit offerings by samsung. Local dimming led would be better but that costs.

ok i decided what tv im getting tomorrow after i get paid its the samsung UN46C8000XF its a 46"led 3d sidelit with local dimming the black levels looked like plasma its breathtaking lol and its less than a 1/2 inch thick at the thickest part,its unbelievable how thin something like this can be made these days=)) (i know i went over my $1000 limit by $600 but its a great deal i found=))~

no personalty i never liked plazma,s i know over the years they have improved the ghosting and fading of colors but lcd's look just as good 5 years old as they did the day you opened the box and i know they used to have better contrast and blacks but with the new led's that is no longer the case,plazma's now are old tech and all but three major manufactures have discontinued them now and are switching gears to LED's as there replacement.

ok i decided what tv im getting tomorrow after i get paid its the samsung UN46C8000XF its a 46"led 3d sidelit with local dimming the black levels looked like plasma its breathtaking lol and its less than a 1/2 inch thick at the thickest part,its unbelievable how thin something like this can be made these days=)) (i know i went over my $1000 limit by $600 but its a great deal i found=))~

Just so you know, the side lighting is not TRUE local dimming the way a full array would be.

Regardless, great TV and you will enjoy it.

Just so you know, the side lighting is not TRUE local dimming the way a full array would be.

Regardless, great TV and you will enjoy it.

What's the deal with local dimmed sidelit TVs? I am in the market for a TV too and i am a bit confused by this. I watch a lot of sci-fi and horror movies so blacks are important to me.

What's the deal with local dimmed sidelit TVs? I am in the market for a TV too and i am a bit confused by this. I watch a lot of sci-fi and horror movies so blacks are important to me.
well i can only speak on this particular tv as its the one i just got http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...HDTV/9784693.p?id=1218173775280&skuId=9784693
it was on sale for the last two weeks for $1500 i see it went back up to $2200 today and no longer included the 3d bluray player and glasses starter kit.so im pretty happy i got it on that sale that i did lol,but back to your question the black on these particular leds are the same as plasmas blacks they actually turn the leds behind the black pixels off when needed so the blacks are as black as it gets=)) this one also has like a billion settings you can make and can be a bit overwhelming with all the new options in the menus there is 4 different settings that i have seen in the menus to adjust how black you acutely want the blacks to be in the picture,if you get some time to go check out some tv's be sure you take a look at the samsungs there works of art.:clap:

Plasma's used to be old tech, but now with 3d in place they are making a big comeback, mainly because of how fast they can refresh an image. I've seen a ton of LCD's in stores, and own a 55in samsung 3d led lcd, (which cost me a bloody fortune at almost 4 grand at the time) and have to say I find the 3d lacking due to cross talk. Reguardless of their stated refresh rates it seems the lil crystals can't seem to twist quite fast enough to keep from having cross talk in 3d use.

Most reviewers, (not just posted reviews after buying a product but the professionals that review them for major sites ect...) tend to agree than plasma's are far superior for 3d at least in the tv marketplace. (I don't think I have ever seen them compare them to a 3d computer monitor, and I've not had the opportunity to mess with one myself)

In anycase, the only issue I find with plasmas is the initial burn in period which you have to be especially careful, other than that don't leave you tv on a static image for 6 hours straight and you don't have a problem.

Anyway, as I mentioned before I have the 55in Samsung 3d (UN55C8000) so I can do a direct comparison, as I also own the 63in Samsung 3d plasma (PN63C8000) and it's what I use as my main tv and HTPC monitor and do all my 3d stuff on. I get no crosstalk at all. There are some 3d movies that are upconverted from standard 2d content, which well looks like crap on anything you put it on, but on the real 3d stuff, there is a huge difference in image quality, as well as when you don't have the crosstalk it makes a considerable reduction in eyestrain, my plasma, I have none, whereas my lcd there is enough eyestrain to go around (in 3d).

And what do you mean big enough because you only sit 6 feet away from the tv?!?! That's how far I tend to sit away from my 63, and by god, I wouldn't complain about an extra couple of feet of screen to completely blot out the sun even with mine!

Me gaming ---> :comp: Muahahah

Forgot to mention, my 55in led lcd cost upwards of 4 grand where as in comparison my 63in plasma (which I like a great deal better) cost me a mere 2500.

Back