• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec EA-650 potential issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kalivos

Hey there. So, I've had this PSU since about May of 2008. I just built a new system, running an i5-2500K, GTX 560, Asus P8P67 Pro Motherboard, running two HDD's, a Creative XFI XtremeMusic sound card, and a DVD burner.

Since I've built this system, I've had 3 unexpected BSOD's (When benchmarking) and the PC has now frozen up twice. Each time that it froze, when i would reboot, it would freeze at the windows loading screen. The first time it did this, i messed around in the BIOS a bit messing with settings and turned it to the power saving mode. then it booted to windows fine, I went back to the BIOS, put it back to normal, and it booted fine still.

Earlier this evening the same thing happened again. This time setting it to power saving mode fixed nothing. I pulled the power from one HDD and from the DVD burner but still could not get into windows. I then pulled out the GTX 560 out and put in my old HD4850 that I had lying around. Got into windows no problem. Put the GTX 560 back in, and here again I am back in Windows.

I'm pretty much set on the issue being either with the gpu or the power supply, and I lean much heavier to the power supply at this point. Could I get any input from forum members here on this? I'm retarded when it comes to power supplies. And this is just frustrating.

Try 'stressing' your system, both your CPU, RAM, and GPU all at the same time using both Furmark (GPU) and Prime 95 (or something better for CPU/RAM).

Having all of these components under full load will tax the PSU. If you get no problems using the old GPU and stressing all of your components then there is good likely hood your PSU is fine. I know that the 560GTX takes in more power than the 4850, but at least you stress the PSU to some degree with the 4850.

Actually, one of my college friends is having almost the same issue. He just built a sandybridge system WITH an nvidia 560GTX and he is running into system stability issues. He popped in his old GTX 275 and it works great and he also bought a new PSU along with it. He's looking into RMAing it.

Thanks for the reply.

I did just that and had no issues whatsoever. Being that it's only a 70 watt difference, and by calculations I've done, with the GTX 560 I should only be using about 530 watt under full load of the 650 watt psu. I am curious though, again being ignorant of PSU related shenanigans, I lists the highest 12v rail as having 25 Amps. the video card recommended a PSU with a 30amp rail. So could this be a cause at all?

And your friend that is having similar issues with the GTX 560, Does he happen to be using the MSI N560GTX with the Twin Frozr II cooler on it?

I'll have to check what card he has, but he has the same motherboard.

There is that issue where a single 12volt rail is less than what the videocard manufacturer says, but they mean total Amps, not from a single 12V rail. Some PSUs 'split' the 12volt into different rails, while some use a single 12V rail (like the corsair).

I'll have to check what card he has, but he has the same motherboard.

There is that issue where a single 12volt rail is less than what the videocard manufacturer says, but they mean total Amps, not from a single 12V rail. Some PSUs 'split' the 12volt into different rails, while some use a single 12V rail (like the corsair).

I see, I see. Thank you for the information. :)

Unless th PSU is going bad, it has plenty of power for that system. ;)

Also, no way would you be using 530W of power. The 560ti uses less power than my GTX 470, and I can tell you loading in Furmark (unrealistic GPU load) I hit just a hair over 400W. Add a overestimated 100 watts for additonal CPU overhead and you can see that barely dings 500W, yours wouldnt touch that I wouldnt imagine unless you are trying for 5Ghz CPU clocks and volt modded and overclocked GPU. Still, thats shouldnt be a problem for that PSU.

Yeah, I'll go with E_D with this too. My system pulls a little less than 600 watts at the UPS (as reported by the APC monitoring software), with a [email protected], GTX570, 1 hard drive, 1 dvd and around 9 fans when running OCCT/Linpack and Furmark (extreme setting) simultaneously. And I know that 2500k can't be as power thirsty as my 980X.

Thanks for all of the replies guys.

After messing around with my system for a long while, the issue actually appears to have been caused by a bad stick of memory. It has been smooth sailing for me since.

Back