• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

m17x: Win7 onto Raid0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SUBMIT

Registered
Sooo,
Long story short I acquired an m17x as dell seconds, it not having passed the quality tests. The one thing that I didn't bother to check before I fired it up and started fixing problems was the RAID setup. It is supposed to come with a RAID 0 setup for its 2 HDDs. Only after I had got everything else working did I actually have a closer look at the BIOS and saw that it was running AHCI and the OS was only on 1 HDD (the other being unpartitioned and unused).
OK, Easy I thought. So I:
-Created an image of the HDD using Paragon PM 10 Server Edition
-Setup the RAID array correctly in BIOS and then in the controller
-Booted up paragon.
-RAID Drive recognised. Good.
-Copy Backup image onto RAID drive(s). Done correctly, trust me (yes:shock:), including the other small partition that Win 7 creates.
-Restart PC.
-POST fine including showing RAID setup.
But when it goes to boot from the HDD it says 'No Operating System Found'

I know that I need to update the MBR (as PPM10 didn't do it) using a Win 7 repair disk.
My question is thus:
Since I have never done a RAID setup before, am I missing something when it comes to putting the OS onto it? I am probably missing something stupidly obvious, but could someone help anyway?

Just to get to this point has been an exercise in frustration and I have to continually remind myself that this laptop has a particularly high price tag and would make an expensive frisbee.:fight:

PS. Ah, ye olde 'SUBMIT new thread' button:D

First off did you reinstall windows or just copy and paste it on the RAID setup? If you copied and pasted it, then it won't work. You must do a fresh install. Another thing is that make sure in the BIOS that your RAID setup is selected as the boot device. I'm not exactly sure what you used paragon for but just format both drives in NTSF and then create the RAID setup like you did before. Reinstall windows from the disk. Go through installation, select RAID as boot device and it should work.

Back