• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest and easiest overclock for Intel 2600K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hellinacell9

Registered
Hi
Does anyone know of a fastest and easiest method of overclocking an Intel 2600K processor to 4.0-4.5GHz on a MSI P67A-C43 motherboard using stock cooler. I need to achieve this in under 2 hours.

Im having 1TB WD hard drive, DVD burner, Kingston HyperX 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz Memory.

AFAIK, you just increase the multi until its unstable, then start adding voltage until you A) reach your goal or B) kill your CPU.

Have fun :)

LOL. JM hit it.

Hit del to enter the bios.
Advanced Manual Options change the multiplier 1 step at a time, starting at (38x) 3.8 Ghz. Add voltage as necessary. Use Prime or Linx for a stability check once you are happy with a voltage/clockspeed that you feel should be stable than judge from there what you need to do. Lower clocks, add/remove voltage, etc. etc.

-D

I thought I read someone say these are the easiest cpus to overclock? Something about how Intel took all the fun out of it?

I guess to make it fun now you just jump up 2 multis then test for voltage now nstead of just 1 :D

I thought I read someone say these are the easiest cpus to overclock? Something about how Intel took all the fun out of it?

I guess to make it fun now you just jump up 2 multis then test for voltage now nstead of just 1 :D

Guys isnt it crazy when you come to think about it?
All of us hardcore enthusiasts came from air/water cooled Athlon X2 many years ago remember the days of the Opteron? We struggled to get a 2.7 Ghz daily, we needed tons of motherboard tweaks, different bios's, different memory settings, DFI Ultra-D motherboard fixes, and somedays the overclock just wouldnt take 2.8 Ghz, and we needed to remove the CMOS battery and bring it back to stock. lol Those were the days, what almost 10 years ago right?

Than Intel came back and saved the day with C2D Conroe. We all bought an E6400 or E6600 Conroe and things got insanely simple! I dont say that lightly. You could literally go in the bios with your new chip, touch a few bios FSB keys and achieve 20% to 30% overclocks without doing much. This is when Intel started giving us real champion bang for the buck chips that you could literally buy the cheapest Intel offering and still achieve Extreme Edition speeds for 1/5 of the price. Of course with the original C2D we still needed advanced bios tweaks for 50% OC's plus but you get the gyst.

Than the Q quad core's came out, as well as the E0 series C2D's which were even cooler and easier to overclock.

Then came Penryn, Yorkfield. Etc. Etc. Cooler, more efficient, and 10 X easier to overclock than C2D and Quad.
Then i5/i7 which was even more golden. You could achieve a 4.0 Ghz on the stock intel cooler in some cases by simply chaning a few voltage settings and a BCLK speed. Incredible.

Now, finally today, we are up to Sandybridge 2500/2600k. Hands down and by far the easiest to overclock, most efficient, most powerful and stable processor every created. Intel has made it so simple, that people should be able to achieve a 4.1 Ghz OC on the stock Intel cooler, sometimes without a voltage bump, and simply by changing your Multiplier from stock to 41X. lol

We have went from 2.8 Ghz opterons that required massive tweaking, heavy air/water setups, and alot of knowledge back in the day to a 1 setting multiplier change on Sandybridge today allowing over 50% overclocks from the factory. Technology has improved tremendously fellas, thank you Intel! I just wish AMD would have made a come back at some point in between my little history lesson. I feel if AMD ever came back more comparable throughout the years we would have even faster and more efficient CPU's today. But with the advent of C2D and CQD Intel, they have just been pushed to the side like a red headed step sister. I will never forget the day when I through my Opteron and X2 4800+ in the OCF classifieds and sold them when I moved to my E6600 C2D. I cant even explain to you how much faster the Intel setup was. It was like moving from a 486DX to a Pentium 900 mhz machine. :comp:

Enough rambling from me today.

Dom

Than Intel came back and saved the day with C2D Conroe. We all bought an E6400 or E6600 Conroe and things got insanely simple! I dont say that lightly. You could literally go in the bios with your new chip, touch a few bios FSB keys and achieve 20% to 30% overclocks without doing much. This is when Intel started giving us real champion bang for the buck chips that you could literally buy the cheapest Intel offering and still achieve Extreme Edition speeds for 1/5 of the price. Of course with the original C2D we still needed advanced bios tweaks for 50% OC's plus but you get the gyst.

Actually you forgot the Dothan, the proto-conroe. Those of us who jumped on that boat were taking 1.73ghz chips to 2.6ghz on stock volts. And that 2.6ghz Dothan performed like a 3ghz athlon FX. That was the first sign of Intel's coming dominance.

Actually you forgot the Dothan, the proto-conroe. Those of us who jumped on that boat were taking 1.73ghz chips to 2.6ghz on stock volts. And that 2.6ghz Dothan performed like a 3ghz athlon FX. That was the first sign of Intel's coming dominance.

Notice how I didnt mention Dothan. I am talking mainstream desktop pc's here. In terms of dramatic points of achievement, the Core 2 Duo line, Conroe, was what really changed the world as far as computing performance within the last 10 years. Think about it, Dothan isnt what got remembered, Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad, those were the gamechangers. Putting a 1.73GHz dothan in line before Conroe wouldve taken away Conroe's importance in that list. Everyone moved from Athlon X2's and Dual Core Opterons to C2D Conroes, and eventually Quads. I was more referring to Desktop PC milestones during my own personal use, and through ocforums history, at least what I remember of it. IMO, dothan is not on my list of game changing milestones. Heck if you didnt remind me, I wouldve never even thought twice about it.

All of us hardcore enthusiasts came from air/water cooled Athlon X2 many years ago remember the days of the Opteron? We struggled to get a 2.7 Ghz daily, we needed tons of motherboard tweaks, different bios's, different memory settings, DFI Ultra-D motherboard fixes, and somedays the overclock just wouldnt take 2.8 Ghz, and we needed to remove the CMOS battery and bring it back to stock. lol Those were the days, what almost 10 years ago right?

That was EASY compared to early Macintosh. To overclock (oh say, Quadra 650), you had to add a jump to disable onboard clock oscillator or remove it, then solder in a new higher clock oscillator, no BIOS, nothing easy. OTOH getting nearly double the stock CPU was easy with '040 CPUs

Than the Q quad core's came out, as well as the E0 series C2D's which were even cooler and easier to overclock.

Then came Penryn, Yorkfield. Etc. Etc. Cooler, more efficient, and 10 X easier to overclock than C2D and Quad.
Then i5/i7 which was even more golden. You could achieve a 4.0 Ghz on the stock intel cooler in some cases by simply chaning a few voltage settings and a BCLK speed. Incredible.

Now, finally today, we are up to Sandybridge 2500/2600k. Hands down and by far the easiest to overclock, most efficient, most powerful and stable processor every created. Intel has made it so simple, that people should be able to achieve a 4.1 Ghz OC on the stock Intel cooler, sometimes without a voltage bump, and simply by changing your Multiplier from stock to 41X. lol

We have went from 2.8 Ghz opterons that required massive tweaking, heavy air/water setups, and alot of knowledge back in the day to a 1 setting multiplier change on Sandybridge today allowing over 50% overclocks from the factory. Technology has improved tremendously fellas, thank you Intel! I just wish AMD would have made a come back at some point in between my little history lesson. I feel if AMD ever came back more comparable throughout the years we would have even faster and more efficient CPU's today. But with the advent of C2D and CQD Intel, they have just been pushed to the side like a red headed step sister. I will never forget the day when I through my Opteron and X2 4800+ in the OCF classifieds and sold them when I moved to my E6600 C2D. I cant even explain to you how much faster the Intel setup was. It was like moving from a 486DX to a Pentium 900 mhz machine. :comp:

Dom

From one old timer to another....GREAT POST! :clap:

I should add...

It's also amazing that folks with almost no experience can buy these systems and overclock them within minutes. In the old days we'd spends hours, days and weeks working out an good overclock.

That was a good post Dom :)

I remember when it was "okayish" to feed your chip 2.2v with air cooling haha :)

In the a64 days it was awsome to get 500mhz from your chip :D

From Katmai to today, I cant choose a socket that was the best for me to oc, I had fun with them all! The only difference between now and then is I dont feel the need to upgrade my pc every 4-6 months anymore :)

Notice how I didnt mention Dothan. I am talking mainstream desktop pc's here.
FYI, nowhere was "mainstream" mentioned in your post.

In terms of dramatic points of achievement, the Core 2 Duo line, Conroe, was what really changed the world as far as computing performance within the last 10 years. Think about it, Dothan isnt what got remembered, Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad, those were the gamechangers.
Before the Core 2, there was the Core. What was the Core? Why did it not use the up until then canonical "Pentium" label?

Putting a 1.73GHz dothan in line before Conroe wouldve taken away Conroe's importance in that list.
Hardly. Dothan is noteworthy precisely because it marked the death of P4 Netburst and the beginning of Intel's clock-for-clock dominance of the performance crown.

Everyone moved from Athlon X2's and Dual Core Opterons to C2D Conroes, and eventually Quads. I was more referring to Desktop PC milestones during my own personal use, and through ocforums history, at least what I remember of it.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393963

IMO, dothan is not on my list of game changing milestones. Heck if you didnt remind me, I wouldve never even thought twice about it.
Well, some of us were capable of looking a little bit ahead. What we saw was a mobile chip that was already highly overclockable and clock-for-clock faster than AMD's best offering, a mobile chip that had yet to be made into a full desktop version. We saw a near endless pool of potential.

Hardly anyone remembers K8 754, but despite whatever your personal recollection says, it was the first example of a major architectural leap. Same with Dothan.

Last edited:
From what I recall those pesky Dothans were supreme beings, I couldnt keep up with em useing with either a superclocked socket a setup to a way over volted 939 setup :D

I should add...

It's also amazing that folks with almost no experience can buy these systems and overclock them within minutes. In the old days we'd spends hours, days and weeks working out an good overclock.

Yes sir - Reminds me of my old Celeron 300A! What was that 1998?

Before the Core 2, there was the Core. What was the Core? Why did it not use the up until then canonical "Pentium" label?

Hardly. Dothan is noteworthy precisely because it marked the death of P4 Netburst and the beginning of Intel's clock-for-clock dominance of the performance crown.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393963

Well, some of us were capable of looking a little bit ahead. What we saw was a mobile chip that was already highly overclockable and clock-for-clock faster than AMD's best offering, a mobile chip that had yet to be made into a full desktop version. We saw a near endless pool of potential.

Hardly anyone remembers K8 754, but despite whatever your personal recollection says, it was the first example of a major architectural leap. Same with Dothan.

So now you pick apart my personal opinion posts. Its funny that the only person that has a problem with what I posted is the person who was warned on how to respond to me last week by moderators. I thought we were under the assumption that we are going to avoid each others posts adn threads from now on. I certainly dont want to see your antics on my PC screen anymore. You clearly came in this thread, NOT TO ANSWER THE OP's question, but to personally pick apart my post in here, which was purely from a PERSONAL PERSPECTIVE of my own, this I find rediculous in itself. I am going to ask for you not to ever respond to any of my posts or threads again. I find you arrogant, and I find you rediculous for coming on here to pick apart my personal story post which everyone else got a kick out of.

Was my spelling correct? How about my grammar? Does my first name Dominick appease you? Or should I change my name for you?

Do me a favor, dont post in any of my posts or threads anymore. it is clear you came in here not to answer the OP's question but to attack me. You were already warned by moderators less than 1 week ago. So please take your warning and leave me alone.

PS- If you came into this post with INTENT on answering the OP's question other than with arrogance and disrespect and like an animal eager to pick my response apart and if your intention was good other than hurt dom you wouldve read through my story post and seen that all of those processors mentioned in my post WERE GAMECHANGING MAINSTREAM DESKTOP PC's. I wouldnt even have to say that, because everyone can realize that in the context of my post. But obviously not you, because your only purpose was to come in here and attack me. Well, now you know the point of my post was mainstream desktop PC's that were used by myself and MOST MEMBERS OF OCF.

Whats rediculous is now I need to worry and stress about using a website that I really enjoy OCFORUMS. Because I have to worry about what you 3line are going to say to me all the time, and how you are going to attack me. Please leave me alone dude. Thank you.

Last edited:
Guys, let's keep this civil please. It isn't helping the OP :)

Hey there Hellinacell! :)

Just following up, did you get the information you were searching for? What kind of speed were you able to squeeze out of of your computer?

Let us know!

:comp:

Dom

For me it feels like the easy/hard progression has just come full circle. I remeber OCing a Pentium 1 (maybe low end Pentium 2?) with a stock clock of 133MHz. It had 2 sets of jumpers on the mobo; one set for the bus speed, the other for the multiplier. One of the easiest things I've ever overclocked. The process was basically:
1. Leave the bus jumper alone because the computer won't run with it set any higher
2. move the multiplier jumper up one higher, does the computer run? Good, repeat this step until it stops working then go back down one.

Thats mostly what OCing Sandybridge feels like, because thats what it is -- we've just gone back to unlocked multiplier OCing. Although it did have its dangers, I killed the mobo on my Pentium 60MHz by putting a jumper in the wrong place.

hellinacell9,

Your question was mostly answered in the first post -- just up the multiplier until its unstable/blue screens/won't boot and then go down a notch and leave it there or start upping vcore. You should be able to do the bottom end of your range with stock volts.

Back