• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need an affordable but decent psu.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killem2

I have an e8400 @3.o ghz, hd 5850 stock, 8 gigs of ram, two sata hard drives, and a dvd driver. 3 120 mm fans. With leds.

My old psu was a XION 650 watt. Lasted two years but died on me 2 months ago.

I don't have a lot of cash on me though, so I didn't want to spend more than 50.00. Is this possible?

I have an e8400 @3.o ghz, hd 5850 stock, 8 gigs of ram, two sata hard drives, and a dvd driver. 3 120 mm fans. With leds.

My old psu was a XION 650 watt. Lasted two years but died on me 2 months ago.

I don't have a lot of cash on me though, so I didn't want to spend more than 50.00. Is this possible?

OCZ 600W runs about that.

Is 400W going to cut it for you?
Are you planing on upgrading your vid card soonish? (400W is really low for modern vid cards)

That's my main issue. The calculator in the sticky said I only use 389 watts. I do not plan on upgrading. My 5850 was a recent upgrade and I gave that pc to my son so it will stay as is until the end of time, I'm getting a laptop some other time to use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139019&Tpk=corsair 600W

$70 600W Corsair CX. Can't comment on it long term. Built a rig for a friend yesterday with it. Really nice feel and finish for the price. Same materials as the TX series externally (worse stuff inside), sleeved cables. It's nice. I only noticed two PCIE connectors. I may have missed something but it may only have two (8 pins with 2 removable pins).

That's barely a 300W system, maybe 350W tops. Something further into the 500W range would get you plenty of power for an overclock, too. The biggest thing to get, most likely, are the required dual 6-pin PCI-Express power connectors.

The Antec Neo Eco 520W runs about $60, and (if I'm not mistaken) is very similar to the Seasonic S12-II, which is a very good power supply. The Antec EA-500 is another very good one, another Seasonic unit.

Back