• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get the greenie off of a Visiontek GF3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkArctic

I was wondering if any of you have an idea of how to get the greenie off of the Visiontek GeForce3. Maybe even a guide. I just can't seem to figure out how it works. Thanks.

-DarkArctic

Greenie? Do you mean fan or thermal pad or heatsinks?

Fan: Attached by 2 pins. Pinch each one together on the back of the card and the pins will come right out.

Thermal Pad: Scrape as much off as you can with a credit card or some other plastic thing, and then soak in nail polish remover (not the whole card...just alittle where the thermal pad is still sticking to the GPU). Then clean off with a lint-free cloth, using rubbing alcohol to get rid of the nail polish remover residue.

heatsinks: Well, I have heard you can place the card inside the staticbag it came in and put it inside a refrigerator for a few minutes, then pop them off easily with a screwdriver. I haven't had the need for this one yet, so I can't tell you if that works at all.

Ya, I meant the fan. To me it didn't look as if I could squeeze the pins, but I'll have a closer look now. Thanks Lou.

-DarkArctic

This is not for the weak at heart. I tried to get mine off once one another video card I tried everything then I for the tool box pulled out my set of dikes and cut them off. Worked for me, but you might want to take a different route.

Back