• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

debian 6.0 squeeze released as stable!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
i am not sure how many people follow debian's release cycles but in case you were not aware, squeeze has now been officially released as 'stable' after 2 years on lenny. it went stable on february 6th.

official announcement:
http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110205a

if anyone is looking to upgrade from lenny to squeeze, i would highly suggest using the upgrade guide from the official release notes. i upgraded my server sunday morning and everything went fairly smoothly with only a few minor issues.

upgrading from lenny (official release notes):
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading

Thanks for this! I typically use Mint, but I've found Debian to be my favorite distro for older hardware.

Yes, I was wondering when it would become official, all my debian boxen shows as "release 6.0(squeeze)".

Wheezy's next testing, I'm wondering what kernel they're going with.

BTW, it seems a little Déjà vu-ish, if I hadn't already mentioned- congrats(or condolences) on the green. It hasn't been that long since you went blue.

;)

yeah, i noticed that a few weeks ago they made the change to the release info which led me to dig around the mailing list archives to find the planned release date. i'm very curious about what kernel they will go with as well. i wish i could remember offhand when they decided to lock themselves into 2.6.26 for lenny. i think i will leave my 'testing' box on squeeze for a while though until they get some of the basic details of wheezy knocked out.

and thanks ihrsetrdr for the condolences on the green :D

Thanks for the reminder - I need to upgrade a box in the office. Waiting until we get our hands on a new copy of some software first, then I'll spent an afternoon sorting it out.

Back