• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman Reserator-XT question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shyboi

Greetings,
I have an odd question. I am attempting to eek out more performance from this external unit. I recently added a 2nd pump (DD-CPX Pro) and have the system cooling a slightly oc’d q6600 @ 3.0ghz along with a 6870 under an EK waterblock. My idle temps are 40 for the vid card, and 40(+-4) for the cpu. During gaming the temps rise to 50 for the card, and 55 for the CPU. I would like to add an additional radiator to the setup and I was looking at the Black Ice SR1 Low Air Flow 140mm unit along with an acrylic shroud(Tecnofront AirBox 140 )

My question is this:

Does it look like the acrylic shroud will fit the existing fan holes on the back of the zalman reserator? The fan for the zalman is a 140mm unit and from the looks of it the holes should line up. I just wanted a 2nd opinion b/4 I pull the trigger on this.
Also Is the blackice rad a copper unit? Or is it aluminum?
Thanks for looking!

I think it would be a much better option to custom build a loop from scratch. If I remember correctly, Zalman (and most "kits") like to use aluminum in their loops, which causes galvanic corrosion and will eventually kill anything copper (your water blocks). Not to mention, that removes the weak points of that kit.

Thanks for the suggestion,
I took that into consideration and have most of the stuff needed to create a custom loop. However the main limiting factor is space in my case, and I also want something that is silent. The zalman is still fitting this nicely. Once I upgraded the tubing to 3/8 added koolance quick connects and added the 2ndary pump the unit is performing quite admirably. I researched the GPU block and determined that the EK Block would be best to avoid any sort of corrosion as it is made with nickel. I am still looking into the black ice Radiator and I cant seem to find any blurbage on what the tubing is made out of.

Nickel is subject to galvanic corrosion as well....as is your COPPER block. The pump in the zalman is being run faster than it should (more than likely) by the pump you added. The SR1 has brass tubing, like almost all of the good aftermarket rads (TFC XChanger excluded, which has copper).

Back