• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions on my upcoming build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HaVoK C89

This will be my very first build and I'm so excited! Lol. I've done a massive overhaul of learning what I can and I'd like to get help and/or opinions of what I'll be putting together in the near future.

My Build

Case: Raidmax Aeolus
CPU: i5 2500k
MOBO: Asus P8P67 Pro
RAM: G Skill Ripjaw X DDR3 4gb (2x2gb) 1600 mhz
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr II OC
Cooling: Corsair H50
Disk Space: 1x WD 500gb 7200rpm SATA 3gb/s 1x WD Raptor 74gb SATA 3gb/s
Disk Drive: Asus DVD ROM 24x (or 18x…whichever lol) drive
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W
Extras: 1-2 LED 120mm Fans, 15 in 1 Card Reader

I don't believe I left anything out lol, if so let me know. and yes I know about the whole recall thing before anyone says anything.....but I'll either 1. just use the SATA 6gb/s or 2. wait till they get redistributed. Thanks guys!!

P.S. This rig will be used for school and for light/hardcore gaming. I know the main game I have my eye on atm is Guild Wars 2, also seen some random games I'd like to play on PC like Age of Empires, Crysis, Crysis 2, etc.

Looks like you've done your homework!

I personally am not an advocate of any Raidmax products, though some of the newer cases (like the Aeolus) seem to have better quality than their old ones.

Are you set on the H50? They are solid but if you want better performance for a little more cash you can get a Noctua DH-14 or something and it will be extremely quiet while doing a better cooling job.

As far as the Raptor goes, if you don't already own it you might be happier with a fast SSD such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550

SSD is a monster upgrade in terms of how Windows "feels" and your overall system speed just feels that much sexier.

yea id definitely look into an ssd for your operating system. as for your CPU cooling i wouldn't bother with the h50. Ive heard a lot of negatives. go with the h70 for a couple more bucks, you'll be happy. i am with mine. or you can hold out and get the brand new h60. she looks well it too, with a lot up upgrades. other than that your build looks great boss. good luck.
i

Everything looks solid, but IMO go with a smaller psu and and spend the extra on an SSD. A 550 to 650 watt will be plenty for that system.

Do you plan on getting a 2nd GPU?
If not cut the power supply to a 650 or Less and like others have get a SSD an entry level 60GB is about 100$ from Mushkin.

Also the H50 is worthless.

You'd be better off with an H70 And if you hold a bit for the H60. ( The H60 will be really close to a low end water cooler and will beat almost all air coolers.)

Ok, I think I will trade off on the PSU then, I'll look more for prices and all for a 650. I was thinking I would go sli w/ another 560 ti.....but that'd prolly be awhile if so and I could always just buy a bigger PSU. I didn't do alot of reading into the h50, I had just heard it was ok for the price and saw it in some vid. I think I might as well just fork out for the H70. Then change out the Raptor for the SSD. -->I was planning on doing this after the list was written up the other day lol.
Also I forgot to add, I'm trying to keep it semi budget as well as be able to OC it....not to the extreme but def somewhat once I get comfy w/ my computer and all.

keep both drives in. just use the ssd as an (OS). i think that's what you already meant but just to double check my brother. stay safe.
i

Last edited:
Downgrade to a 650 PSU or keep what u have if ur goin to sli. H50 is worthless a hyper 212 will do just fine. Like mentioned get rid of the raptor and get an 60gb+ ssd.

Pretty much what everyone else said. :thup:o
PHP:

Downgrade to a 650 PSU or keep what u have if ur goin to sli. H50 is worthless a hyper 212 will do just fine. Like mentioned get rid of the raptor and get an 60gb+ ssd.

Pretty much what everyone else said. :thup:o
PHP:

I've done a whole lot of upgrading since this post lol. Sorry I haven't updated it yet. Here it is tho!

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
MOBO: ASRock P87 Extreme 4
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr II OC (or Goldent Edition)
Cooling: Noctua NH-D14
Disk Space: 1x WD 1tb 7200rpm SATA 6gb/s (64mb cache) 1x 60gb SSD (not sure which brand yet....nbd to me tho lol)
Disk Drive: HP DVD ROM 24x drive
Extras: 1-2 LED 120mm Fans, 15 in 1 Card Reader, fan controller, another GPU as stated above when funds rise lol.

I'd go with 2 HDD's in RAID 1.
Oh yeah? Why?

I've done a whole lot of upgrading since this post lol. Sorry I haven't updated it yet. Here it is tho!

Disk Space: 1x WD 1tb 7200rpm SATA 6gb/s (64mb cache) 1x 60gb SSD (not sure which brand yet....nbd to me tho lol)
Extras: 1-2 LED 120mm Fans, 15 in 1 Card Reader, fan controller, another GPU as stated above when funds rise lol.
OCZ Vertex 2 is your brand for SSD.

Why did you get a 850W PSU for a single 560ti?

Yea I was figuring them, or Intel. I think I will go w/ OCZ tho. I'm gettin an 850W for when I get a second 560ti....prolly/hopefully in a few months :D

650 or 750 would have worked just fine, but... nice PSU anyway!

Thats what backups are for, and cheaper (sayin g you already have another drive to back up to of course!).

That's why RAID 1 is good. I highly doubt it's cheaper than an internal drive.

Go with a crucial c300 or wait for a Vertex 3.

LOL at above.

Back