• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Static Shock restarting PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ryinator

I built a PC using a combination of new parts and spares from my previous cheap desktop. I am planning on upgrading everything eventually, but right now I'm having issues with electric shock. I assumed it was an issue with my PSU so that's why I'm here. When I connect a cable or external drive or touch any of the ports in my case and hear a small shock, my computer usually freezes--causing my sound card to emit a high pitched ringing until I have to pull the plug--, or it restarts, or shuts down completely and does not let me power it on for about 8 seconds. I have to discharge all my devices on something that is grounded before I can let it near my case. However, I can touch and shock any other metal part of the case and have no problems; problems only arise when touching ports. I fear there may be a grounding issue and maybe this could be a nice incentive for me to upgrade that old PSU? I am mostly worried that one of these days I could cause some sort of electrical catastrophie... should I be worried about this or is it even my PSU's fault?

one thing i would check would be to see if maybe the power outlet your pc is connected to isn't grounded properly. one way to check would be to try to connect your system to a different outlet. the best way would be to do something like this but it will require a tool to test with.

once you can rule out the outlet, you might then consider it being a psu issue. a fairly easy way to check would be to swap out the psu with another one (that is if you have another handy you could swap with).

when you say that you touch ports, which ports are you talking about that you touch that cause the shock? also, are you using metal or plastic motherboard standoffs in your case? metal should provide another route to ground the motherboard while plastic does not provide the extra route to ground.

I am using metal standoffs. The shock happens whenever I touch any of the USB ports or headphone jacks that are connected to the motherboard. I don't recall if touching anything on the back of the pc will do the same thing but I assume it would. The same thing has happened in many different locations so I know it isn't my outlet... so is this a good time to upgrade? :bday:

Back