• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building new system, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itchie

It's finally time to upgrade my system. I've been out of the loop for several years so I'm not sure what's good but I did some brief research and here's what I came up with:

m/b: Biostar A770E3 AM3
cpu: Athlon II X4 620
ram: 2x 4gb DDR3 1333
hd: Seagate Barracuda 1tb 5900rpm
video: Geforce 9800GT 512mb DDR3 PCI-e 2.0

This system would be used mostly for software development (mainly running the eclipse ide, and running some vmware images), but I also want to be able to play games. Can this system handle the latest games? Should I be concerned that the video card doesn't support DX11? Or should I get something better, maybe the HD 5750?

You will want a high end GTS or a GTX NVidia if you want to play the latest games. I personally don't use ATI due to conflicts in the past so those are what I recommend for GPX cards. Now it would also be nice to know what PSU you plan on running (Anything 600 watts or higher will run that setup. 800+ if you want SLI or Crossfire), you CPU fan (default or 3rd party), etc.

Back