• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking an Athlon II X4 640

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
Hi guys,

Trying to overclock my brother's system:
- Athlon II X4 640
- 4 GB DDR3 (1600 MHz)
- Asus M4A88T-M motherboard (880G)

I can get 3.3 GHz by simply upping the FSB to 220 MHz. Attempts to go higher lead to folding@home crashing and odd graphical artefacts and glitches.

I've tried upping some voltages: I can see a HT Link voltage and a Chipset voltage. However, I struggle to get the system to remain stable (CPU at 1.3 V, chipset 1.17 V, HT voltage 1.32 V.

What would you recommend I try next?

i found that the integrated graphics was causing my issue ( 785G not 880G ) when i raised them up and over volted it i got further than usual.
Basically try overclocking the Gpu and its memory first to remove that from the complications.

Hmmm... there is a 9600 GSO in the system so I'd be tempted to disable the onboard GPU entirely, if that would achieve the same result?

i would recommended disabling the on board completely yes, it only leads to complications, the difference between a 215 ref clock and a 230 for me. but beyond this little fault i can help not much more as most of my oc-ing is done via the unlocked multi so i dont have to worry about ram and such, i hope i helped!

Definitely, thanks for the input. I'll have a go disabling the onboard GPU.

I've disabled the built in GPU and upped the VCore on the chip and it seems to be stable at 3.5 GHz for now. I'll leave it there for now but try to squeeze some more out of it at a later date. Cheers for the advice! It's been too long since I've had a proper go at overclocking.

Back