• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 970 4ghz - what's your vcore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

For your i7 970 to get to 4ghz, what is the lowest vcore that survives prime95? What is the setting voltage and what does CPUZ say the operational voltage is?

Perhaps a pole might be nice for this?

Mine:

1.28 vcore (1.24 cpuz), 1.35 QPI, 1.5 RAM ---> 4.0ghz (25x 160) Asus P6TD

Poll :)

Im getting a new board to try an experiment, so for now to run 4ghz I need:

1.35vcore, 1.31vtt @ 191bclk, 1.66vram, cpu clock drive at 900mv, tho I normally run it at 1000mv, it barely does anything.

Thats it for 191x21. This board is finicky when it comes to most lower bclk multi combos.

Just got my 970 last thursday and so far I am at 4ghz 161x25 1.3vcore in bios, 1.272 cpu-z under load, 1.15vtt.

What kind of temps are you guys getting? I feel like my temps are kind of hot for water, I'm getting 72c on hottest core under load.

i don't run 4ghz, i only stopped there briefly on my way upwards. 4.2ghz needs 1.275v as set in bios...not sure what CPUZ reads. if you like i can try tonight @ 4ghz...i'm pretty sure it was around 1.225v.

Just got my 970 last thursday and so far I am at 4ghz 161x25 1.3vcore in bios, 1.272 cpu-z under load, 1.15vtt.

What kind of temps are you guys getting? I feel like my temps are kind of hot for water, I'm getting 72c on hottest core under load.

I managed to lower my voltage to 1.25v @ 4ghz, so far it is stable.

My temps on water are 54c max, some cores are down around 45c. There seems to be a lot of fluctuations taking place in the temperatures. On other CPUs the temps evened out after a while, but not yet with this one.

72c is fairly hot, what kind of water setup do you have? I'm using a Swiftech H20 GTZ dual rad kit.

My water cooling is

Swiftech apogee xt cpu block
Koolance Mobo North and South bridge block
Bits power MOSFET block
2x Koolance GTX 480 block
XSPC Rx360 triple 120mm radiator
Swiftech MCR220 Dual 120mm radiator
Swiftech MCP655 rev. B pump

All of that is in a single loop.

I bought another MoBo that arrived yesterday (Same board as I'm currently using, EVGA x58 sli) and while I was messing with it and my old 950, I noticed I could get 4.1ghz stable at only 1.265vcore, on my original board it took 1.31vcore.

I will be breaking my loop down tonight and installing the new board, leaving the mobo air cooled this time. I think the restriction from all the blocks is killing my flow and temps, plus the new mobo seems to be a little better OCer. I will post the results when I get everything set back up.

Also, 72c is the hottest core after folding for about 24hrs on cpu and both gpu's. My gpu's get up to 57c for the first one and 67c for the second after 24hrs. Ambient temp in the room is about 74f. Looks, to me, like the water is moving to slow and has time to heat up more that it should.. What do you guys think?

started a new thread so I'm not hijacking this one.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6771178#post6771178

Last edited:
Also, 72c is the hottest core after folding for about 24hrs on cpu and both gpu's. My gpu's get up to 57c for the first one and 67c for the second after 24hrs. Ambient temp in the room is about 74f. Looks, to me, like the water is moving to slow and has time to heat up more that it should.. What do you guys think?

started a new thread so I'm not hijacking this one.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6771178#post6771178

What kind of temps do you get with the two GPUs off? I imagine they are producing way more heat than the CPU.

What kind of temps do you get with the two GPUs off? I imagine they are producing way more heat than the CPU.

The heat from the GPU's are definitely the biggest problem. I added another pump the other day and temps did fall about 4c on the processor and about 2c on the GPU's but I still get about a 5c difference between folding with GPU's and without.

I ordered another XSPC RX360 Triple the other day and will be making 2 loops when it gets here. I know it would probably be fine with the two triple rads in the single loop but I would rather not have to worry about it.

1.28 vcore (1.24 cpuz), 1.35 QPI, 1.5 RAM ---> 4.0ghz (25x 160) Asus P6TD

Used your multipliers as a reference and this survived 2hrs prime95 so far.
Vcore 1.24375
GPI/vtt 1.275
OCH 1.2
RAM 1.5

1st time watercooling and 1st time clocking...

Used your multipliers as a reference and this survived 2hrs prime95 so far.
Vcore 1.24375
GPI/vtt 1.275
OCH 1.2
RAM 1.5

1st time watercooling and 1st time clocking...

Every chip is different and works with different voltage. My 970 (when I had it) did 4GHz @ 1.2 vcore and 1.2 QPI so perhaps yours will too... mine was quite a rare specimen, but by no means the best. :thup:

Every chip is different and works with different voltage. My 970 (when I had it) did 4GHz @ 1.2 vcore and 1.2 QPI so perhaps yours will too... mine was quite a rare specimen, but by no means the best. :thup:

That sure is a rare specimen.
I could boot up on that but it does not survive in prime.

hUMANbEATbOX's 970 could probably do the same, and there is another user on this forum who got 4.5GHz @ 1.315v, which is insane for ANY multi-core CPU let alone a hyperthreaded hexcore CPU lol :D The best my 970 could do was 4.6GHz @ 1.44v (I think) but hyperthreading was off because it was just too hot. :thup:

1.44 gets me 4.2 :D

Thats with ht on tho, as for the heat, well thats what it gets for being a crap clocker, no sympathy from me! :rofl:

hUMANbEATbOX's 970 could probably do the same, and there is another user on this forum who got 4.5GHz @ 1.315v, which is insane for ANY multi-core CPU let alone a hyperthreaded hexcore CPU lol :D The best my 970 could do was 4.6GHz @ 1.44v (I think) but hyperthreading was off because it was just too hot. :thup:
Stock cooling on mine too. ;)

Back