• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 423 P4 too hot!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gimps

I'm running my setup with a 423 P4 1.7Ghz and I have the Thermaltake Indigo Orb as my HSF. At idle the system is right around 43C and under load it goes up to 53C. That seems just a little too hot to me, I'm wondering if theres anything I can do to cool the chip down? I have a 120mm fan on the top of my comp, and one fan in the front of the case. It's a smaller ATX case so there isn't much room for fans. Any suggestions?

Yep, those Orbs pretty much are worthless. Are you using thermal paste? If you're using that crappy heat pad/tape that comes on most of those coolers, then remove the heatsink, clean it up, and reinstall using a good thermal paste like Arctic Silver.

I'm using Arctic Silver 2 on it. Do you have any suggestions on a good HSF for this CPU. I'm giving this system to my sister as a wedding gift(ain't I nice) and I want to make sure it will last her some time before it craps out. I looked online for a new HS but all I could find were what looked like cheap $20 HS. I don't mind spending $40-$50 if it means I'll be running cool!

Do they make a AVC Sunflower for the socket 423 CPUs? I don't think they make a Sunflower in socket 423. Might check out the Zalman coolers.

http://www.ocshoot.com/cnps5000plus.htm

Sorry, but I have more experience with socket 478 P-4's which I know use a different cooler mounting system. I do know that the best and most expensive socket 423 cooler is the Swiftech MCX 423.

I'll go look for a socket 423 good cooler review and report back soon.

*EDIT*

Ok, I had a tough time finding any good reviews for the socket 423 P-4 coolers. I did find this one P-4 review, but it's not very clear if these are socket 423 or 478 coolers or both. I guess look at the review and find a good performing cooler and then check to see if it's available in socket 423. Good luck, sorry I could not help any more.

http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardware_review.asp?review=p4hsf2ghz&page=1&mscssid=&tp=

Last edited:
Gimps said:
I'm using Arctic Silver 2 on it. Do you have any suggestions on a good HSF for this CPU. I'm giving this system to my sister as a wedding gift(ain't I nice) and I want to make sure it will last her some time before it craps out. I looked online for a new HS but all I could find were what looked like cheap $20 HS. I don't mind spending $40-$50 if it means I'll be running cool!
o i see, getting rid of the crap socket 423 so you can get something better for yourself.:D j/k

linkiat said:
try the AVC Sunflower. It may be of some good.
they are alright, i have one, as you can see in sig, but they are a little bit loud. i read on ocp that that is the HSF they used when testing a 2.a, and that is why i got one, and they said that it ran stable at 2500+, but it didnt say at what temps, i run kinda hott when i am at the speed. have the same mobo, and chip, but they were using a 550w enermax ps. there is a link here in another thread to get it for $28 shipped, and i have never seen a 423 chip, but my guess is that if the factory HSF is the same, it will fit. i would recommend to get the p4 volcano, it is very easily mountable, and has low noise, but have not tested it, bignutz from the forum has one. the sunflower is kind a pain to take on and off though.

The socket 423 CPUs are bigger than the socket 478 CPUs and they have different spacing on the mounting brackets. As far as I can tell, you cannot interchange the two types of coolers without some serious modifications.

No you can't interchange the two and I don't want to mod the mobo or HSF just to make it fit. I found that you can buy mounting brackets for the MCX462 and turn it into a MCX423, so that is what I'm going with. Swiftech seems to have a history of good performance and hopefully it'll lower my temps!

Back