• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DICE'ing a AMD north bridge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

Ive been looking over this for awhile, ever since I started playing with my setup in my sig in the sheltered stairway the goes to my basement and leads outside. Its stays pretty cold in there, esp with the cold outside temps....my head cold is proof of it from my little escapade the other night. :( *sniff*

Anyway, it got me to thinking, Ive seen where people have used dry ice on p35/45 chipsets and a few on the bot from people freezing the older Nvidia 939 chipsets.

My question is, has anyone tried to freeze AMDs 785g, 790fx...etc chipsets? Or do the bug out? I knabbed a few more FSB from my 620 on air playing with the cooling on my NB...HWbot Link

Ive had it much higher on this board so I know theres more in it.

When the IMC moved to the cpu, the need for freezing the chipset more or less dissapeared. I don't know AMD anymore but if you're seeing gains from a colder nb, it might be worth a shot just to see.

Ive been looking over this for awhile, ever since I started playing with my setup in my sig in the sheltered stairway the goes to my basement and leads outside. Its stays pretty cold in there, esp with the cold outside temps....my head cold is proof of it from my little escapade the other night. :( *sniff*

Anyway, it got me to thinking, Ive seen where people have used dry ice on p35/45 chipsets and a few on the bot from people freezing the older Nvidia 939 chipsets.

My question is, has anyone tried to freeze AMDs 785g, 790fx...etc chipsets? Or do the bug out? I knabbed a few more FSB from my 620 on air playing with the cooling on my NB...HWbot Link

Ive had it much higher on this board so I know theres more in it.

Didn't I see you put a chunk of DICE on top of your NB Heatsink a few nights ago when you were streaming your benching session?

I did, but it was so toasty it just sat there and sizzled, heh. And it didnt seem to help any, only later after babying the fsb was I able to get even remotely close to what Ive had it at before. Im going to get a better board and CPU eventually once I get settled in my new job and get another smaller pot for the NB and do some DICEing on both the CPU and chipset just to play around and see what happens.

Unless I find proof somewhere that it will cold bug or something. Ive only seen nvidia amd based boards diced so far.

Vince makes a NB pot iirc

I thought about just grabbing some copper pipe, and a copper cap and soldering them together...... if I see any improvement from taking the chipset cold that way, Id move on to an actual NB pot.

:shrug:

Back