• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does chipset cooler worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LBYuan

Registered
I saw a few chipset cooler on the market but no one seems to buy it. Why? Chipset cooler doesn't help in OC'ing? :screwy:

Recent chipsets don't tend to need or benefit from upgraded cooling. Previously boards(LGA 775 boards) often could show benefit (higher FSB) from better cooling.

Recent chipsets don't tend to need or benefit from upgraded cooling. Previously boards(LGA 775 boards) often could show benefit (higher FSB) from better cooling.

qft. Even most 775 boards didn't until the super extremes...but that's why stuff like the ud9 now come with waterblocks pre-installed, it became a feature that the people who didn't understand the reason behind it looked for and so they include it now to boost sales...not sure if it helps at all anymore tbh.

Some do. Depends on your needs. Are you going to have a Mobo with weak cooling and a cherry chip? And your after the very very best overclocks a mobo/chip/mem can give you? You want to be the best of the best?

Then yes. The gains might be very small for the added overclocks you get. It becomes diminishings returns very quickly for the last teeny bit. More money for little gains.

This might sound odd, but my p5ql pro gets unstable with the fsb over 400. however i can get it to boot on 420 x7 multiplier on my q8200 but it bluescreens after boot. would a cooler on my north/southbridge chipsets help me get it past 400 x7 to 420 x7?

Does the NB/SB get hot?
If so, it may help.
If you can touch the heatsinks comfortably, adding a cooler will not help.
If you have to let go after a second or two, it might help.
If it hurts the moment you touch it, adding a cooler will probably help.
If it sears you immediately, adding a cooler will definitely help.

Fair warning: The computer will run just fine with the heatsinks at a temp that will burn you pretty much instantly. Be careful about this.

@jameseboy

it might help after all many of the 775 chipsets run hot, and many people used to use aftermarket parts to cool them, but if the stock heatsink isnt warm at all there is no need for a new one, if it aint broke dont fix it.

theyre realitively hot most of the time. however im not going to try to push my overclock anymore, i tried earlier and keep getting bsod. i think my crappy samsung ram isnt helping it along :p

I added a 60mm fan to my chipset's heatsink and my temps improved alot. Used to idle around 54c-56c, now with the fan it hovers 38c-40c :)

I added a 60mm fan to my chipset's heatsink and my temps improved alot. Used to idle around 54c-56c, now with the fan it hovers 38c-40c :)

but did it help your OC? There's no question that it helps temps, but to what ends?

Back