• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WOW!!! I think that I finally have this thing stabile at last!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TUK101

I think that I finally have my 800 Celeron stabile at 1066@133fsb. After a few months of trying to OC this chip and get it stabile I think that I finally found what I was doing wrong. It wasnt voltage, this chip doesnt seem to like any added voltage, probably has something to do with the fact that it is already at 1.75 volts stock. It wasnt temps, got them down to less than 30c at full load. It was that I had my memory timings set at CAS2, and when I set them back down to CAS3, my random lockups went away. I ran Prime 95 for about 20 hours with no problems, and I ran 3DMark 2001 a couple of times with no problems as well. 3DMark 2001 used to lockup on me after running it a couple of times, and Diablo 2 used to do wierd things as well. I played D2 for about 4 hours last night with no problems whatsoever. I am so happy. This chip runs so much better with the added fsb. Much snappier too. Should I try for more? I dunno, I think that I am going to enjoy my victory for awhile. Maybe in a couple of weeks lol.

Good job! Glad you got it worked out. People sometimes forget about things like memory timings. Prime95 is a great tool for testing for errors caused by memory timings.

Whats odd is 7ns Micron should have no problem running 133 FSB cas2. I've tested it and it is usually good for ~ 145 FSB 2-2-2.

Yodums said:
Weird about the memory settings.

Although nice overclock.

cas2 is about 33% more stressful than cas3. take the fact my pc100 will do 150+ as cas3 but only 105 or so at cas2! my pc133 only does 124 at cas2! at cas3, I bet it can do 180!

Overclocker550 said:

cas2 is about 33% more stressful than cas3. take the fact my pc100 will do 150+ as cas3 but only 105 or so at cas2! my pc133 only does 124 at cas2! at cas3, I bet it can do 180!

My point was that mostly all PC133 CL2 rams will do 133fsb w/ the CAS2 timings (Thats why you buy CL2). And being stock I would be annoyed that my ram is still on CL3.

Yodums

then you should exchange your ram, since it wont do cl2 as advertized. mine is probably cl3 since its the cheapest ram I could find! yet it does cl2 at 124

Overclocker550 said:
then you should exchange your ram, since it wont do cl2 as advertized. mine is probably cl3 since its the cheapest ram I could find! yet it does cl2 at 124

Not many people want to go threw the waiting process.

LOL, I bought the ram from Micron themselves too. Paid an extra 3-5 bucks so that I could have cas 2 ram. I am only running the 256mb of the cas 2 ram too, so I am only running with one stick. I took the 128 stick out and sold it with my old comp, (366 celly@550). Yeah, I have been running this thing for days now and it is kicking butt at this speed. Just bought Max Payne last night and been playing it with very little to no slowdowns with the Radeon 32mb ddr card. Pretty awesome game I have to say. Thanks to all of those who have tried to help me in the past with my OC'ing woes. :beer:

LOL, I bought the ram from Micron themselves too
That is Crucial PC133 7ns Cas2? That should EASILY do 133 Cas2. I've had a bunch of that stuff. It will always go to at least 145 FSB 2-2-2. Maybe it's something with your mobo???

Yeah, I think that you are right about something being wrong with my mobo. Sometimes it wont recognize all of my drives. One day it may be the floppy, the next it will be a cd-rom drive. I have checked, and rechecked the floppy cables. I ahve bought and installed new ata 100 cables, and tried ata 66 ones too. I am looking to buy a new Tualatin capable mobo in the next few months. Want to be able to go to one of those new hot rod Tualatin chips possibly with ddr . One thing that I do know though is that this thing is so much faster at 133 fsb. Everything is much more responsive at that setting even though I cant keep it set at cas 2. I do have the memory set at turbo, if I were to back it down a notch and then try cas 2 would the tradeoff be worth it?

You didn't mention if you had a cdo or co sspec chip. But since you using stock default voltage i would guess its a cdo. i think it might be your ram. You say its micron and from what you posted I think you meant it was pretested. Could be pretested industry standard that may be crapping put. crucial will do cas 2 no problem at that speed. your motherboard is via chipset and is not as succesful o/c in general as an intel board they are really just a little more efficent with the ram usage than via and alsways seem to pumpout those extra mhz. I got my 800 to 1.2 default voltage with 900 megs but my first attempt was crippled by a stick of 128 crucial that didn't have what it took. Also i am using a abit via vh62 which helps. A very o/c friendly manufacture mb maker even with via chipsets.Maybe that other stick of 128 would have worked in an intel chipset but then agian It wouldn't work those boards using above 512 megs. Your right its wierd but after alot of testing prime just didn't go far above default voltage. Untill a long burn in at 566/1.95 volts and it will run fine at higher voltages and now at cas 2. If i just use the one stick of my pc 150 it will run stable at 1.65 volts no problem. One thing you should bedoing is chucking a fan on your northbidge or replacing with a betterheatsink/fan combo on that bridge . Cooling the chipset well can help to get that cas 2. As for your ram pretested maybe on an intel based chipset doesn't mean it will run smooth on a via or in an amd platform though. Alot of micron industry standards just don't play well on athlon boards and don't o/c well either. sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't. Sticking with a good name brand like crucial or corsair or kingstin is always your best bet. But also I found if your going with cheaper ram at high bus speeds then go for pc 150 cas 3 ram. Improves your odds well. The 512 I grabbed was pc 150 cas 3 does cas 2 at either 133 or 150 But i bought it so i was guarenteed the 133 cas2 for sure. If i were you i would drop it back to 566@ 1.95 and give it a good burn for 24 hours min using cpuburn only. Fan the north bridge and try her out at 133/cas 2 default using prime first for an hour or 2 then 3d mark(if runs here it will run in games). If all else fails then try to find the highest mhz/cas2 you can hit it still will run faster than 133 at cas 3.

Wow Murdoch, thanks for the info. I might try that with the burn in thing. I really am happy with my OC right now though and just live with it till I get a new mobo. The way that I figure it is that 1066@133 fsb is way way faster than the 800@100fsb setting no matter what Cas setting I am at lol. Just bought Max Payne and have been playing that with no flaws whatsoever. So I think that I will stick with my OC for now.

Back