• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

html image map problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What program did you make the image map in, or did you freehand it?

An easier way is to use a WYSIWYG program, like CuteMAP from Globalscape.com, or Coffeecup Imagemapper.

we have to do every thing free hand

but thats not it becuase it works in IE

does anyone know html really good?

I know HTML pretty well, I would still recommend that you use CoffeeCup Image Mapper...its free works well

Im sorry I didnt get a chance to look at the code im about to walk out the door for the weekend...sorry...if you cant fix it by monday night ill give it a look

anyone else know anything about html

would this do better in programing thread
( i dont think it would since they get a new post ever 3 or 4 days)

From what I can see your page is working exactly the way you are telling it to in the code.

You're image map works fine. At least it's working the way your code is telling it to.

From what I can gather, you want the Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner to call new pages, but they aren't.

This is your code.

area shape=Rect coords="128,66,4,89" href="assinment3.html"
area shape=Rect coords="211,90,290,66" href="lunch.html"
area shape=rect coords="480,75,389,95" href="dinner.html"

I have taken out the brackets to keep the forums from trying to see them as html commands......

Do you have the assignment3, lunch, and breakfast.html files in the same directory as the page you linked to? They dont seem to be doing anything. The only thing that I am wondering is if you have named those three files .htm or .html because you are calling .html files.

Other than that everything I see is great. And i will tell you this much. Ignore the answers telling you to get an HTML program. Learn it the hard way. Learn to write html in notepad. Then once you have a handle on it, then go to a program that makes it easier for you. I do everything in notepad except for Flash. It will make you a better site builder, and you learn the code first hand. To many people I know that start out with WYSIWYG programs have absolutley no clue what HTML is capapble of and what it isnt.

notepad all the way baby

but its still not working in netscape

internet explorer works fine

is there a html proofreading software anywhere that will point out errors in syantax?

have you tried the handy little program called coffee cup image mapper you can get it for free from coffeecup.com....try that

the map cords are fine
becuase they work in ie

i think im missing end tags or some stupid @#$%#@

is there any program that will check to make sure its compatable with netscape?

Found this on a website for site builders....

Be aware that many browsers still in use cannot handle image maps. This is why you will come across properly constructed sites that also offer text based links somewhere on the page.

Avoiding the use of image maps, many Web developers chop up images and place the sections on a page so that they reconstuct the full image when all sections are loaded. Then each section (image) uses the standard <a href=??????> ... </a> hyperlink. See if you recognise this method on sites that you visit. Microsoft.com use this method on many of their pages, but you have to watch the pages carefully as they load.

has to be an image map

its assignment for my html class

then your probably going to run into this problem on Netscape browsers. If its required that it work on Netscape, refer the teacher to the paragraph I pasted in here.

i did

and he doesnt care

what really chaps my @$$ is that his idot down the row from me showed me his works and its almost the exact same code

( i didnt get a good look at it because i didnt want to be acused of cheating)

The whole object of a class is to learn. And if they dont teach you the proper way of making an image map work on a Netscape browser, then your not learning. And if someone DID get it right the class would benefit from looking at his code to see how he did it.

But then again, this is why I wont go to school for this stuff. Most of the teachers dont care, are underpaid, and dont know squat to begin with.

Search around the net. Just go to a search engine (using Netscape) and type in html image maps. Find one that works, write down the page, and visit it in IE. Then view the source and see how it differs from yours. Yes, this is cheap but if your teacher is going to be an @$$ about it then teach yourself.

Personally, I dont tailor my websites for Nutscrape. I hate them more than I hate AMD.

i second that but its not my place to tell him hes wrong ( well i should but i want to pass)

but it just blows my mind that it works perfectly in one and not at all in the other

I just stumbled on this thread a few minutes ago and am wondering if you are still trying to change that page. If so from what i just clicked and if it was not fixed this is what i saw.
1st the imagemap i see has no problems. It goes to each link you specified in the HTML code. The problem i find is that all 3 pages assinment3.html , lunch.html , and dinner.html are exactly the same page with different names. Don't you want the pages to contain different food coarses?

no

he doesnt care if we can type or not so i just cut and pasted the bottom part but he does care about the imagemap to see if its wokring correctly

it should be

assinment3.html
lunch.html
dinner.html

all interlinking at the banner

each banner is diffent with the current page's title in green

anybody taken a look at the code mabey

Do me a favor. If assignment3.html and lunch.html and dinner.html dont exist, create them. And just put in this code below. If they do exist, change their code to this:

<HTML>
<TITLE>Assignment3.html</TITLE>
<BR>
<P><CENTER>This is assignment3</CENTER>
</HTML>

Name them according to what they are. (the others should say dinner and lunch) Put them in the same directory and see if they actually load using netscape.

I just looked at it again and Pheonix is on to something. The pages change, but they match the index page and it appears that it isnt doing anything, when it actually is.

Doing what I told you to will confirm if they actually work or not.

Back