• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lets talk about upgrading (5770?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nth697

looking at getting some new hardware for diablo III and other games like call of duty black opps.

unfortunately right now my hardware situation is pretty screwed. the list goes like this:

pentium d 820 2.8ghz @ 3.08ghz
3gb ddr2 333mhz @ 366mhz timings tweaked
7300le 64mb!!!!
the motherboard is a total piece of junk that Id rather not name
no name 300w power supply

so my thoughts are that the video card and power supply have to go. Im looking at this video card http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150501&Tpk=N82E16814150501
a xfx 5770 1gb single slot with some nice rebates and free shipping. I will overclock and overvolt it for better graphics options. about $146 shipped w/ $20 mail in rebate.

and this power supply http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341019
an ocz 700w model. this one has nice rebates too. $75 shipped with $30 mail in rebate.

now Im pretty sure the video card sounds like a good deal but Im not sure if I want that power supply. is it overkill? can I save $ by getting a cheaper one?

and secondly Im wondering if my processor and ram will be holding me back despite the abilities of the 5770. my gut says yes.

if you know of a better deal or have a suggestion Id love to hear about it.

thanks.

Last edited:
No matter what you do, you have a very large rock tied to that video card in the form of slower RAM and a slow CPU with an old architechture on a slow bus...

The 5770 will be severely bottlenecked.

IMO a 3870 is as high as you can go without hitting the severe limited or no gains bar. Even that is questionable. Consider that a 4850 or 4870 is slightly bottlenecked on a C2D Conroe at 3Ghz with an 1800Mhz FSB and 1066Mhz RAM, and would only really reach it's absolute true potential on a C2Q at similar settings

So, I think, personally, you're in the "I need a whole new system" category. Either that or the "I need a PS3" category, because it's just not worth it otherwise IMO. A 3850 or 3870 wouldn't be a crazy thing to do, along with a CX430PSU..

Last edited:
ya I hear ya Theocnoob. Im thinking of getting these two parts and upgrading everything else at another time. kind of a 2 part upgrade.
maybe it would be better to get a slower video card so that I dont have to upgrade the power supply. then get a whole new system further down the line.

if it wasnt for this motherboard and its lousy bios I wouldnt be on a software overclock at such slow speeds :(
do you know of a video card that would work with my hipro 300w and still play call of duty black opps?

Not really man..

Why don't you get a CX600W and a GTX560Ti 1GB now, suffer for a while, then get

Gigabyte P67 UD3 mobo
4GB DDR3 2000 Cas7 or 8
1TB WD Black 64MB cache
Intel 2500K CPU
CM Hyper 212+ cpu cooler

That way when you do upgrade later, you'll have a really solid, decent video card as opposed to an 'entry level' decent video card.

That's a really nice system BTW built it for a friend last week its a great performer for $900ish

If you have a dinosaur case with only one fan exhaust in the back and no intakes, consider a new one when you upgrade your system. Many cases have 2 or 3 or more intake and exhaust fans of various sizes. Even some of the more affordable ones. Antec's 900, for example, can take 3 front 2 back 1 top and 1 side fan I believe.

ya that sure does sound like a nice system. the GTX560Ti 1GB sure as hell would get the job done but it would break the bank without any problems ether.

cost is my #1 concern and the main reason I chose to start the thread off with the parts that I mentioned. another reason not to go crazy on the graphics is that I am using an old crt monitor.
I hope that the 5770 will last me. Ill o/c it so that it can keep up today then vmod it or xfire or something when it gets old. unfortunately right now graphics performance has to stay #2.

its just like you say with my dinosaur case, but I got no worries :cool: Ill just chop holes in it when I get a mobo with more fan headers :sn:

can you give me a longer name for the CX600W? Im having trouble finding prices

ya that sure does sound like a nice system. the GTX560Ti 1GB sure as hell would get the job done but it would break the bank without any problems ether.

cost is my #1 concern and the main reason I chose to start the thread off with the parts that I mentioned. another reason not to go crazy on the graphics is that I am using an old crt monitor.
I hope that the 5770 will last me. Ill o/c it so that it can keep up today then vmod it or xfire or something when it gets old. unfortunately right now graphics performance has to stay #2.

its just like you say with my dinosaur case, but I got no worries :cool: Ill just chop holes in it when I get a mobo with more fan headers :sn:

can you give me a longer name for the CX600W? Im having trouble finding prices

Get a GTX 460 if you can instead of the 5770 if that's what you're set on range wise. Corsair builder series CX 600W. Drilling holes for fans works. So does mounting the motherboard to a big block of wood and hanging a massive fan from the ceiling.

lol Ive seen some eXtreme cases on the net. a box fan as one wall of the case and another made up of hundreds of small fans and zip ties! dont worry, I wont go that far :)

that power supply is about $38 more than the ocz 700w Ill pass on that.
the GTX 460 sounds nice though. it looks like the 768mb cards have Stream Processors: 336 Processor Cores and the 1gb cards have 288 Processor Cores. cores or memory.
do they overclock well?

I just read a little about the gtx 460 and it sounds like it clocks really well. I like the looks of this one http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130591&cm_re=GTX_460-_-14-130-591-_-Product

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121390&cm_re=GTX_460-_-14-121-390-_-Product

768MB>1GB

just like the 512MB 8800GTS>640MB. More pipelines. Nvidia does odd things.

SE always means crapp, with anything electronic. Computer parts, software, whatever.

Also I notice you fold so this card will fold much much faster than your current card or a 5770, which folds when trying to fold (Da dum PSHHHHH)

ok that kinda sounds like a plan. by upping my price $25 I get a better card, then when the rebate comes in I would have paid $15 more than what the 5770 would cost.

woo! sounds better now that Ive said it! thats a great deal!

ya cant say Im a fan of the whole process ether.
but I think that Ive reached a good price vs. performance point here. I just hope the prices dont change while I get the cash together.

ya cant say Im a fan of the whole process ether.
but I think that Ive reached a good price vs. performance point here. I just hope the prices dont change while I get the cash together.

Don't you know that watching the price drop $40 while your MIR is on its way is what computer building is all about?

You buy what's good today, then cry when an unannounced sneak attack video card that smokes it for the same price comes out a month later COUGH GTX560 :bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head vs my 6870

yes again, very true. the advice I give to others (and try to take myself) is hold off until you NEED an upgrade and NEVER future proof. trying to future proof has been a net loss for me in my travels. technology just moves too fast!

yes again, very true. the advice I give to others (and try to take myself) is hold off until you NEED an upgrade and NEVER future proof. trying to future proof has been a net loss for me in my travels. technology just moves too fast!

Some things are 'future proof' like a really good power supply or case. That can last a good 8-10 years and still be excellent. Some other parts not so much.

When you get that rebate in 2028, yes, it'll be a great deal :p. MIR's are kind of like lightning... You never know if or where it will strike.
This is all too true from EVGA. Their as fast as a glacier when it comes to rebates. If you decide to go with EVGA and do the rebate route and haven't received the rebate after 12 weeks go to their forum and make a post about it. Thats how I got my rebate. Some are fast like OCZ and Corsair and some just don't send you the money.

I played around with my raid 0 drives and broke my OS. I'm back now and in the mean time I picked up a asus top gtx 460. I'm happy with the card and would recomend it to people. It runs cool and is not loud.

thanks for the advice.

Back