• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Steelseries 5H V2 or Astro A40?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automiketic

Before everyone yells AD700 here me out. First and foremost no matter which headset I get it will be paired with the Astro Mixamp. I am absolutely stuck on getting the mixamp because I have a very specific set of tasks that I think it will be perfect for.

Materials:
Astro Mixamp
Astro Powered Splitter (allows you to have to connect to headsets to mixamp)
2x Astro Y-Adapters (one is included, allows you to connect any headset to the mixamp)
2x3ft Optical Toslink Cables
12ft Toslink to Mini Cable
3X1 Optical Audio Toslink Bi-Directional Manual Switch

The plan:
Connect PC and PS3 to toslink selector.
Connect toslink selector to mixamp.
Connect Wii to Mixamp via analog audio cables.
Connect Mixamp to Astro Powered Splitter.
Connect Powered splitter to 2x y adapters.
Connect chosen headset to one y adapter.
Connect computer speakers to other y adapter.
Connect Mixamp to PS3 via usb for mic.
Connect Mixamp to PC via 3.5mm audio cable (provided with Mixamp)

This should result in me having my headset with mic capabilities on both PS3 and PC as well as having listening abilities on the Wii. All of this while still having output through my computer speakers. I like to have my sound out the speakers at the same time since I have sub and enjoy the bass effects in game play.

With that lengthy explanation out of the way lets get to the brass tax. I plan to use this headset strictly for gaming and gaming only. I listen to music through my speakers exclusively. I must, must have an attached mic as the added cost of adding a mic to regular headphones breaks my budget and just doesn't sit well with me. With that in mind I have narrowed my search down to two. Now the A40's are pricey but with combo with mixamp they only work out to be about $10-20 more than the 5hv2's. I have owned the 5hv2's and I loved them. With all that in mind which should I choose?

Astro A40's (not sure which style I'd choose yet but they all cost the same)
____-or-
Steelseries 5H V2

Thanks in advance for the replies and taking the time to read my ramblings.

Last edited:
Whatever you go with, you'll have a nice setup there for sure. :D

I've been using the ATH-A700s for a while now (closed version of the AD700 basically), and they are indeed awesome. Most comfortable headphones I've ever worn by far... and they sound great.

I've heard really good things about the Astro A40s, but they are indeed pricy. I've never used the 5Hv2, but I've seen them in person, they look alright I guess. Probably not terrible or anything.

Actually now that I've read up on it more, the Astro A40s don't seem that spectacular. :eek: The ATH-AD700s with the MixAmp would be better for sure.

Actually now that I've read up on it more, the Astro A40s don't seem that spectacular. :eek: The ATH-AD700s with the MixAmp would be better for sure.

Wasn't the first sentence of his post basically saying "DON'T RECCOMEND AD700s"!?

Don't get me wrong, I've heard nothing but good things about the AD700s, but he seems very firm that he doesn't want those :p

Well I will hear all arguments, I just wanted people to take into account my needs before suggesting them. Most people are looking for a balance for headphones between music and gaming and or lean very heavily toward music end. I however have zero need for music through the headphones and I just wanted that to be known before the suggestions were made. TBH I am considering the AD700's and actually possibly some HD555's as well. I really just wanted to see if someone here had tried both the 5hv2 and the a40 and could give me a comparison....

Last edited:
Wasn't the first sentence of his post basically saying "DON'T RECCOMEND AD700s"!?

Don't get me wrong, I've heard nothing but good things about the AD700s, but he seems very firm that he doesn't want those :p

Well yeah, if he ends up changing his mind, the AD700s would be great for (FPS) gaming: great mids and highs, and large soundstage -- especially in DH with the MixAmp. All for a pretty good price.

But still, there are similarly good cans for the money if he really doesn't want to go with the AD700s.

Well I have fixed my old 5H V2's! With little bit of practice and knowledge I have gained in this process I now feel comfortable adding a mic to some regular headphones opening up my price range a bit. I have pretty much ruled out that A40's as such I am going to make a new thread. Thanks for the replies.

Back