• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu causing blue screens

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tntsk8er2005

I've had an AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4GHZ for a little over a month now, and just the other day i started getting blue screens with multiple different errors. After a bit of troubleshooting i figured out it was caused by the CPU by putting my old one back in and everything running fine. Putting the new one back in immediately gets me more blue screens. sometimes it will boot all the way up and then blue screen, other times it will go straight to blue screen. Cpu Temps are normal as far as i know, and i have not previously had heat problems. Im just wondering what could cause this to happen because im afraid of it happening again with my replacement CPU.

Computer specs are:

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3
AMD Phenom II X4 965
ZALMAN CNPS8000A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan
XFX GeForce GTS 250
8gb Kingston HyperX 240-Pin DDR3
Rosewill Stallion Series RD450-2-DB 450W PSU

What are you using for core voltage? Some screenshots of CPU-z tabs "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD" would be helpful.

i've found that the CPU is hardly the cause of a BSOD, BSOD is actually caused primarily by the RAM, and if your newer CPU isnt talking to the RAM the way it wants to be talked to then you get memory errors and BSOD

The computer won't run for more that 10 seconds with that CPU in so i cant get screenshots for you and i do not know the core voltage. Also when i put the "bad CPU" in my brothers computer the same thing happens with the blue screens so that would lead me to believe that it is a problem with the CPU and not RAM.

It does sound like a bad CPU. But try one more thing. Put your "old" good processor back in, go into bios and set the core voltage to 1.4. That is the upper end of "stock" voltage for this the PII X4 965. Then put the 965 back in and see if it is more stable.

Ok i tried that, and it stayed running for about 5 minutes then blue screened again and now wont boot up without going straight to blue screen again.

Now does this mean my CPU just randomly went bad, or is there a possibility if i buy another one the same thing will happen?

AS Arcanise indicated in post #3, CPUs rarely go bad. They have thermal shutdown/throttle down technology built in that us very effective in protecting them. Have you considered the possibility that your PSU (and your brother's) are going bad or are inadequate from a wattage standpoint and can no longer cover the power draw of the new, more demanding CPU? You have given us no information about the rest of your hardware.

I've listed all my hardware in my first post. The thought crossed my mind that it could be my PSU as its 5 years old and relatively low wattage, But my brothers PSU is a brand new 750W Rosewill, and i still get the same problem in his rig.

My bad. You did list your hardware info in your first post. For future reference, please put that info in your "sig". Go to "Quick Links" at the top of page just under the blue headliner. Then go to "Edit Signature." That way the info appears with each post you make and doesn't get buried as the thread gets longer.

I would certainly invest in a newer, higher wattage PSU if I were you. PSUs that go bad can fry other components.

:welcome: to OCF!

What board and heatsink does your brother's computer have?
What case are you using (and him, too ;))?
How about his power supply and video card?

It's very odd that it would run for awhile with the higher vCore then go back to BSOD's.

Rosewill Stallion Series RD450-2-DB 450W PSU
That's not a very reliable PSU. What PSU does your brother have? Also, try running Memtest86+ with the new CPU to see if you're having trouble with memory stability.

Is the 8GB of Kingston 4x2GB or 2x4GB? Some memory controllers will have issues running 4 sticks of ram. Also, keep in mind that the cpu is also the memory controller, and that if it's memory related there is a 50% chance it's the CPU. and for what it's worth I run my 555BE unlocked to 4 cores at 3.8GHz with a 5770, 3 hard drives and 1 dvd drive on a Antec Green 430 Watt PSU no problem.

As for what trents is pointing out about the psu, he is right. A cheap psu will provide dirty power / lots of ripple (voltage fluctuation) to your components, so a quality psu is always a good investment .

My brothers board and heatsink are ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI and ZALMAN CNPS8000A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan
his power supply and video card are Sunbeam PSU-H680-REV-US-BL 680W (i stated the wrong PSU in my previous post) and XFX GX260NADBF GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
We both use this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811138100
And the RAM is 4x2gb

Remove 2 sticks of ram and try it again. Zpackrat makes a good point about the 8 gigs of ram. It puts extra strain on the ICM (integrated memory controller). Do you need that much ram anway? Very few applications can take advantage of that much memory.

To do it right, you need to run memtest on each stick of ram individually in each slot for 3-4 passes.

Thanks for the info! :)

Here's something you might try. Go into BIOS and manually set the vCore (CPU voltage) to 1.30v and the CPU NB VID to 1.175v. Make sure all other voltages are on Auto and the RAM timings and speed are on Auto. It may not work but it's worth a shot.

and for what it's worth I run my 555BE unlocked to 4 cores at 3.8GHz with a 5770, 3 hard drives and 1 dvd drive on a Antec Green 430 Watt PSU no problem.
I believe it. The Antec Green 430w is a good PSU, and probably provides 400w+ of clean power. The Rosewill 450w probably provides around 200w noisy, out of regulation power. :)

Back