• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanting new video card/monitor, what are all these things?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slayn

Ok I am planning on buying a new video card and monitor, and I am seeing all these very confusing things. If you can clarify what they are and what is good, I would much appreciate it. I hear all these things such as: tft, crt, lcd, dvi and I dont know wtf any of them are lol. I know I sound like a n00b, but whats good and whats bad? Much appreciated.

Well I cant help with all of them... but CRT is a standard monitor, LCD is more or less like a laptop monitor. DVI stands for Digital Video In I think... that or Interface :D Not sure :beer:

Hmm, TFT? I searched for it on google and I found some interesting things... it means Textile and Fibre Technology. It also stands for the game The Fanatasy Trip. I don't think that helped did it?

CRT...Cathode Ray Tube, standard monitors or tv's use these....TFT...Thin Film Transistor...thats a type of LCD display that either a flat panel or laptop uses...DVI...Digital Video Interface....used to connect to HD tv's or any other High Definition video display device..such as Flat panel Displays

LCD does not emit radiation (well not harmful anyway) unlike the CRTS, but they are not good for games and they are expensive

As Ritterri&Bubbles has said the best monitor for the buck is the Viewsonic PF77 CRT flatscreen with DVI connector.

IF you buy a flatscreen CRT monitor you want a DVI connection if your video card supports DVI as say a Radeon 7500 and 8500's do because this is the best pic you can get. Having an analogue connection on a DVI video card really negatyes any benefiots you had hoped to get .

I am searching high and low for a quality 19" CRT flatscreen with DVI connection and if possible a built in uSB hub.

Cisco KId

i think LCD means laser cut disc
TFT is tube funnel television
DVI is digitized video imaging

yup thats all i know

Back