• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Default settings for i5-2500k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

malibu72

Registered
Since my mobo died I'm going to an Intel i5-2500 cpu along with new mobo and memory.
It appears most vendors are pushing the 2500k versus the 2500. I know that the mobo will apply default settings to voltage and timings for memory and and of course the 2500 is locked.
Question is would a mobo apply a default clock speed setting to the 2500k since it is unlocked? I ask because I'm not into overclocking.
Thanks for an answer from anyone.
malibu72

1) Yes. A motherboard would apply a default clock speed setting to the 2500k. Doesn't matter if it's locked or unlocked, a motherboard won't just start pushing the processor.

2) You're going to have to wait for a socket 1155 motherboard because of a recall.

1) Yes. A motherboard would apply a default clock speed setting to the 2500k. Doesn't matter if it's locked or unlocked, a motherboard won't just start pushing the processor.

2) You're going to have to wait for a socket 1155 motherboard because of a recall.
kraven,
Thanks for your reply. Maybe sounds like a stupid question but I'm trying to achieve a better understanding about memory speeds, clock speeds, and how motherboards react to them.
BTW, I don't think I want to wait till April or later for mobos with the new chipset. I'm afraid my mobo will die on me before then and I don't want to deal with the downtime.
I've begun to look at LGA 1156 mobos even though the technology is not as new. Hope I can find a solid reliable mobo with good specs and a good cpu that will last me more than 10 months. Do you know anything about the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro?
Thanks,
malibu

Back