• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

People who have temp probes, Please post temps from probe vs MBM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Hi all,

Just trying to get a list and make some averages to get an idea about the accuracy of various temp sensors on different motherboards. Thought it might make a good sticky.

If you could post:

1. Motherboard brand/model
2. MBM or bios reported cpu temp
3. Compunurse/Digidoc/other probe reported cpu temp
4. The difference between these temps

1) AOpen AX34 Pro II
2) Bios 26C
3) DigiDoc 5 25.1C
a diff of .9C and thats with the house temp at 80F and also with my Fiancee computer. She is using direct die cooling.

MBM5 was reading about 1c higher than my probe touching my Athlons core. I'm using an Epox 8K7A and an Athlon 1.4@1705. I'm getting an XP soon so I'll hopefully be able to get the temp diod to read so I can compair temps then.

You need to approach this on an HSF by HSF basis because the form factor of a given HSF will impact the reading of the in-socket thermistor. If the HSF is broad, it will shelter the socket area from air circulation and on average, the in-socket thermistor will read warmer than with a smaller HSF or tapered one. I have a dozen HSFs sitting here and no two read the same in-socket thermistor value for the same core temperature as read with the XP on-die, internal thermal diode. Also, how the in-socket thermistor sits will impact its accuracy. Ideally, it will be touching the bottom of the CPU. In the case of the XPs, it typically touches one of the surface mounted capacitors, but that's the best you can hope for. I put a small dot of non-metallic thermal grease on the thermistor, where it touches the bottom of the CPU. Some motherboards have a thermistor that has too short a set of leads to permit it to touch the CPU bottom. In that case, the in-socket thermistor will invariably read lower than the actual temperature. Some times, you can unsolder it and extend its reach. Some times you can not.

With all the possible combinations of HSF and motherboards out there, you will be comparing "Apples to Oranges to Pears". A more purposeful question might be who out there is using the same HSF as you on the same motherboard as you and what temperatures variations do they get.

Hoot

Back