• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair H50 CPU Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h055

I never really wanted to get into water cooled builds because of the maintenance associated with it until I found this:

Corsair H50 CPU Cooler

Do you have any thoughts on it (good / bad)? Would it out perform an after market air cooled heatsink?

Well.. Watercooling is for superior temps and quiet. You'll find neither with the H50. A high quality air CPU cooler is proven to do better.

The newer H70 is a bit better then the H50, but it's still wayy below a real watercooling setup.

On the OCF Home page (upper left on this page), we had some fine tests and reviews of the H70 and H50. Under reviews. You'll have to back a few pages using older entries, but it's there.

Yeah, just finished reading the reviews you mentioned.

Do you recommend an entry level kit to push a 2600k? How often do you have to change / refill the water?

You should read the stickies and learn about water cooling before you worry about entry level kits.

There are a few out there that would be, dare I say, recommended, but if you don't understand the basics you are right where you started.

Heading into this blind can be very dangerous for your pc. ;)

And 6mos was a recommending draining/cleaning cycle, not a brand. :-D

sorry, 6 months is the recommended interval for changing water and every year for a full teardown and clean.

YW wagex, and you learned. We feed you stuff. What you do with it is up to you, your genes (thank your parents), and your luck/abilities make all the diff.

Be glad Karma (Goggle) sent you here for your WC journey.

Not finding anything under "6mos."

LOL. You think it's that easy.

If you had a clue you would see that the H50/70 is a sealed unit. You never have to change the water or do anything except have sub par cooling for the H50 (worse than air cooled setups) or the H70, it's a basic simple loop for the CPU, and we in the WC world don't look at it at real WC. Temps are no better than an air cooled unit.

You need to reread my post. REAL WATERCOOLING isn't cheap, it needs care and work. It gives amazing temp results at a very low noise level IF IF IF done right.

You need to start over. You don't understand the concept yet.

Take a few days to read/learn. Your needing more than a quick read to get it.

Go up two posts, see what wagex said.............

LOL. You think it's that easy.

If you had a clue you would see that the H50/70 is a sealed unit. You never have to change the water or do anything except have sub par cooling for the H50 (worse than air cooled setups) or the H70, it's a basic simple loop for the CPU, and we in the WC world don't look at it at real WC. Temps are no better than an air cooled unit.

You need to reread my post. REAL WATERCOOLING isn't cheap, it needs care and work. It gives amazing temp results at a very low noise level IF IF IF done right.

You need to start over. You don't understand the concept yet.

Take a few days to read/learn. Your needing more than a quick read to get it.

Go up two posts, see what wagex said.............

Judgmental much? I am pretty sure I do understand the 'concept' and I get at there is a lot involved with proper water cooling procurement and installation. The few 'clues' that I do possess allowed me to understand the limitations of the H50 / H70 but no real access to data regarding how it stacks up to TOP-END AIR cooling; might want to reread my post.

Not going to lie but I was pretty thrown off by your elitist reply. To add insult to injury you chastised me by quoting an excellent post from Wagex as if you somehow had any involvement in propagating USEFUL information.

no real access to data regarding how it stacks up to TOP-END AIR cooling

There are comparisons all over the internet...legitreviews, hardocp, and OCF's own muddocktor have ALL done reviews. Skinneelabs has data on the h50 and a couple of top air coolers...it's out there, just try looking.

There are comparisons all over the internet...legitreviews, hardocp, and OCF's own muddocktor have ALL done reviews. Skinneelabs has data on the h50 and a couple of top air coolers...it's out there, just try looking.

Since this thread's conception I have but its (IMHO) always good to hear from people who have actually worked with the unit. Nevertheless; I am getting the H70 (with 2x gentle typhoons) mostly for clearance issues in the rig I am building.

I think it amazes you guys how lazy some noobs can be, (i.e.asking the same questions over and over, not using search functions, etc...) but it amazes me more how most will go out of their way to flame instead of helping. :shrug:

Going to take a slightly different tact here.

You asked about being able to push a 2600k.

I'm not an expert on that chip, but from what I've seen so far it overclocks very well on its stock cooler.

With an h70, basically a high end air unit, you can probably break 5 ghz with decent temps.

If you really want to push it you will have to step up to a true water cooling solution.

You asked for entry level kits and I'm going to explain why its not being answered.

First is that this is a hobby and as such you need to enjoy doing it. Its very hard to swallow the amount of money involved if its not something you enjoy doing.

This leads to the next point. As a hobby, the people on this forum want to guide you on the safest route to get what you want. If I told you to go buy x kit and you installed it without any knowledge of leak testing and then the unthinkable happens...well you not only just spent a nice chunk on your wc equipment but now are shelling out cash to fix what burned up.

Now you are put off from water cooling and could quite possibly hold me or this forum responsible for your loss. None of us need that sort of rep.

If it doesn't end that way and you got your system built and running properly but don't know the draining cleaning cycles. Now you come back in 8-14 months not knowing why your temps are going up or why your water is turning green.

So with all this, and more, we point you to the stickies to learn. You could be told the answers but that isn't going to stick with you. If you take the time to learn it, though, then everyone can rest assured that you understand what it is you are getting into, and accept what is expected of you.

Your first "test" is selecting your parts. This lets everyone know whether you have done any research at all. If you pick good parts and explain why you chose each part, the people will be much more forthcoming with their knowledge as they know you are making an honest attempt.

I will close this novel by saying you are way off on your criticism of Conundrum. I admit he can come off harsh, but I promise you he knows what he's talking about. I've learned so much from him and m0r7, if not directly then pointed me in the right direction.

Give it a chance and you might find you love doing this.

Well put and I greatly appreciate you taking the time to address all the facets involved with someone not as savvy on water cooling. I have a rather addictive personality and one of my greatest fears is letting cooling get out of control--think pelter and segueing into phase change. Then I am brought back to earth and realize I would only use the rig to play games.

I have also read about the OCing capabilities of the 2500k / 2600k chips on water and how there is little additional room for OCing.

Maybe on day I will find a reason to water cool and I can rest assured that the resources I have been pointed to will be my first stop,

Back