• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rad arrived damaged...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zagi

Just got my new rad in the mail today and found out its in pretty bad shape cosmetically... Lots of bent fins, scratches all in the paint. It doesn't look like it would leak, but I'm not sure if this is acceptable condition for a new radiator.

The UPS box it arrived in was in good condition, but the rad box itself was already torn up. It makes me think it was already in bad condition when it was packed at performance-pcs.

Is it worth emailing or calling them? Anyone else had to deal with this? Just want some opinions...

I would be. Pay too much to be accepting damaged parts. I bought my bix 360 off of ebay and it looked flawless other than one bent fin.

Take pictures of everything before sending anything back, and I'd contact them if you aren't satisfied. Smaller stores typically compete based upon more personal customer service, so this might help you out here. I'd make them aware of your concerns and ask what your options are nicely, and expect good results.

But keep us posted, I'm interested to hear how it goes. You got a bum shipment, but hopefully they make it right.

You are not the first one to get a dinged up radiator. My TFC came with a big dent. The blamed it on the shipment. The funny thing was that the box was in peferct shape and the blue bag was open.

Zagi, that sucks. It happens.

Email them, don't be all pissed off etc. You might end up talking to the guy who packaged the rad. And his wife has just taken the kids to Finland, and he makes $10 an hour. Be cool, smooth, take pics.

Give them time to reply. Don't freak out. Maybe the main email reply guy has a sick kid.

You get my drift... Life takes many turns, so do others who touch your life. Give them a chance.

It's just a hobby for you, not a job like everyone else at the other end.

Thanks for the replies. I got to looking at the rad again this morning and decided because the damage was largely cosmetic, and since it will be sandwiched between fans anyway, its not worth the time lost and trouble of shipping it back.

So after a long session with a pair of tweezers, I've got most of the bent fins looking fairly functional again. Its not pretty but it should work. A few of the fins are torn from the tubes but I doubt the performance difference will even be noticeable.

When I got my first made-for-pc radiator (not car part radiator or heater core, a DD X-Flow Stealth), it arrived with one side, the shroud smashed in almost an inch. The channel and fins inside were all mashed up, it looked like someone swung the radiator against a solid pole.

The box from UPS had matching damage, and the smaller box for rad also showed matching damage.

I photographed the boxes and the rad and then sent it back, got another one.

I still don't know how a 240 rad got mashed that hard since the shroud has about 1/8" thick metal and about 1" wide.

I got a case from new egg that looked like a Mack truck ran it over. I just RMA the case and they shipped me a new one. I orderd some 3/8" ID primochill tubing from FrozenCPU and they sent me 1/2" ID tubing. Made a phone call, they asked me some quick questions, and sent me new tubing with second day shipping. Both retailers had decent to exceptional customer service. I understand that selling water cooling gear is not going to make you rich. I understand that a lot of merchandise that these small retailers buy can not be returned. In my opinion, that is not reason enough for any online retailer to require you (the consumer) to be super nice to get a product returned. I am not saying that every time a consumer complains that they should get a new product, I am just saying that I, the consumer, should not have to jump through hoops to get a damaged product returned.

*snip*> I am just saying that I, the consumer, should not have to jump through hoops to get a damaged product returned.

On the surface that would sound correct, but after a long day of watching profits fly out the window from fraudulent idiots trying to return pumps with pry-marks and radiators with long screws run through them, the nice sounding letter is going to really stand out and get the first class attention.
It would at my desk, if I were to do that sort of thing. Simply having added $5 profit to this month's balance sheet does not buy a kingdom of self-entitlement.

Don't be mistaken, nice costs you nothing to use.

Last edited:
Who said they had to replace an item that was clearly broken because of a mod. All I said was I should not have to jump through hoops to get a product returned that was broken before I got it. I am not super nice to sidewinders. They fix any mistake they make. I am not super nice to frozencpu, but yet they fix any mistake they make. If they are going to make me jump through hoops, then I will not be their customer. I am sure there are many others just like me.

Who said they had to replace an item that was clearly broken because of a mod. All I said was I should not have to jump through hoops to get a product returned that was broken before I got it. I am not super nice to sidewinders. They fix any mistake they make. I am not super nice to frozencpu, but yet they fix any mistake they make. If they are going to make me jump through hoops, then I will not be their customer. I am sure there are many others just like me.

missingthepoint.png

He didn't say anything like that. He said they get a lot of demands from people to replace parts that the consumer broke, and that sending a nicely worded letter goes a long ways with a lot of people. Respect is a two way street.

To be honest, I have not seen too many threads complaing about frozencpu or sidewinders. But when I do, I do not see people saying "write them nice email." They tell them to rma it. Every few months I see someone with issues with this vendor. Almost everyone states you should write a super go-lucky email. So there is a corelation here, and there should not be. If I am given a faulty product, then I should be able to return it to accordance of the return policy. Yes, there maybe some questions asked, but should not have to jump through hoops.

Being nice isn't jumping through hoops. Being nice is being a human being. If the nice you tried to do didn't work, well, one more reply with honey is better than replying with a hammer.

Part of doing business. I get a lot farther in my dealings being nice even in bad instances.

Nothing says you have to be nice, it's all about your outlook in life.

I apologize for hijacking this thread. I will conced; being nice most time will not hurt your cause. However, from own experience and what I have read, be nice to these guys is the only way to get things done. I just do not see why I can't say hay you sent me 1/2" ID, I order 3/8". I am going to rma it.

Back