• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 - 930 - OC 4.01 GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RussJ

Just a quick question. This is my first time Overclocking so just a question about Prime 95..

First the issue. When running the torture test it raises my heat fairly quickly. with in 5 minutes I am seeing 96 - 97 C. Of course this is running 100% that whole time like prime does. I did a bench testing test and it was fine doing this.

I also did a Intel Burn test for about 20 minutes with no issues except high temps highest being 96 C. But completed the test on maximum with no issues..

Idle is 41 - 52 C regular load/gaming brings it to about 60 C maybe mid 60's

Should I worry about the torture test if i never take my pc to that kind of stress? I only run my pc for gaming and really nothing else. I dont take anything to the extreme as ing using my cores at 100% for long times if ever.

My bios Changes:

CPU ratio setting : 21
intel speedstep : disabled
Xtreme Phase full power : enabled
BCLK : 191
PCIE : 100
Dram Freq : DDR3-1531Hmz
UCLK : 3063Mhz

Volts

CPU : 1.25
CPU PLL : 1.8
QPI/Dram core : 1.21875
IOH : 1.12
IOH PCIE : 1.5
ICH : 1.2
ICH PCIE : 1.5
DRAM Bus : 1.64

CPU Differential Amp 800mV
CPU Clock Skew Delay 300ps

Hardware :

Asus P6X58D-E
i7-930
Corsair A70
6 gb DDR3 - OCZ Gold

I have been running with no issues for 24 hours with normal activity and no heat issues.

What cooler are you using? It shouldnt get that hot with those volts at only 4Ghz...

IBT is usually 10C higher than P95 so they way you listed it is a bit backwards to me...

using a corsair A70 dual fan push pull cooling. I stopped the prime due to the rising temps it may has stayed at 97 but i just stopped it anyway

What are you using to monitor core temp's, and what does CPU-Z show as the loaded Vcore while running Prime or IBT?

(sorry i see you mentioned that) Even with that cooler, it shouldnt get that hot at 4Ghz...are you sure P95 got the temps that high and IBT didnt? That makes no sense unless the CPU was throttling or something?

Your regular load temps are fine though. ;)

What are you monitoring temps with?

The core voltage on the CPU tab shows 1.232.

I am re running Prime 95 with 2 threads and everything is fine. How many threads am i suppose to run with?

The core voltage on the CPU tab shows 1.232.

I am re running Prime 95 with 2 threads and everything is fine. How many threads am i suppose to run with?
As many as your CPU has... If its a quad, use 4. If its a quad with HT, 8.

It should pick it up and do it automatically.

Ya i have thermal paste on it.. Before i got the A70 it was seeing high idle temps at around 60 - 70c.. I didnt know how to do thermal paste well and may be the same case here.. It seems the screws are tight on the Heatsink .

I used a little dot of thermal in the middle of my processor and then put the hs on but.. it may have moved around while trying to tighten it down.

in time I am sure i will upgrade my heat sink or re seat it at best may even take it some where to have it done just to make sure its done right..

But until then I would assume all is well? Prime is just something to take it to its limits and is no where near every day logical use correct?

So i have no problems or worries of short life span as long as i dont see these temps at normal every day use?

Edit running it again with 8 threads i see the core bouce between 1.232 - 1.240 volts

Edit # 2.. Is it possible for this.. the core hits 100C and then as soon test stops it drops instantly to 70C.. is it really that fast to cool?? i mean its not gradual.. as soon as the test stops its at 70C

Last edited:
Back