• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worthwhile 775 upgrade from E6600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tspek

A few years ago this was le crem de le crem best bang for my buck over-clocked rig.

I'm not quite ready to upgrade the entire computer and make the switch to an i7 so I'm wondering if there were later chips that would offer me a real speed advantage (for the sake of comparison, lets just speak at stock clock speeds) over the chip i've got to tide me over for another year or so before I can justify dumping money into a new...everything.

A few years ago this was le crem de le crem best bang for my buck over-clocked rig.

I'm not quite ready to upgrade the entire computer and make the switch to an i7 so I'm wondering if there were later chips that would offer me a real speed advantage (for the sake of comparison, lets just speak at stock clock speeds) over the chip i've got to tide me over for another year or so before I can justify dumping money into a new...everything.

Edit*

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131030
Mother board (for compatibilty)

Edit*

This is becoming my own personal diary

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?BoardName=DP965LT

If i'm reading that chart right, the only real upgrade to make is to a quad core (q6600 or q6700).

Is this accurate?

Last edited:
You should use the edit button instead of triple posting... :p

I would go to the ASUS website and see what their compatability chart says. Regardless, unless you can drop say a e8400 in there, its not owrth it, IMHO, to upgrade on that platform. That money spent on a CPU can be put towards your new rig.

EDIT: But I guess Im confused. Your processor find link in post 3 is a different motherboard than the one you linked form newegg in post 2. You can check HERE and see what CPU's it can handle with what bios...

Valid :chair:

I would go to the ASUS website and see what their compatability chart says. Regardless, unless you can drop say a e8400 in there, its not owrth it, IMHO, to upgrade on that platform. That money spent on a CPU can be put towards your new rig.

Thanks for the input.

I'm iching to build a earth-shattering beast but I find myself on my laptop more and and more :shrug:

EDIT: But I guess Im confused. Your processor find link in post 3 is a different motherboard than the one you linked form newegg in post 2. You can check HERE and see what CPU's it can handle with what bios...

Yeah I just found that ASUS chart. So an update of the BIOS should be ale to handle just about any 775 I throw at it.

This may be a nice compromise.

Still... the $90 you pay for an e8400 or the $120+ you will pay for Q6600 should be put in your pocket for a more worthhile upgrade. Chances are you wont be able to overclock much if at all on that board...

Good luck! :)

Still... the $90 you pay for an e8400 or the $120+ you will pay for Q6600 should be put in your pocket for a more worthhile upgrade. Chances are you wont be able to overclock much if at all on that board...

Good luck! :)

Yeah I agree. Ultimately part of the reason I haven't upgraded is because of how well this setup has performed. In the 10 years I've been doing this, I don't think I've had a computer keep up with my work/play as long as this one has.

The E6600 was a great chip, very cool and yet powerful. I think you are better just to wait and upgrade when you need more power. Anything else is a waste now and won't bring much in terms of performance. Even a quad would only be noticeable if you were FOLDING, otherwise you wouldn't see a substantial gain.

You could pick up a Q9550, but even used I think those sell for around $150.

Do you have a Microcenter near by? If you are just looking for something cheap to tide you over for a bit they have good deals on AMD CPU/MB combos. I just picked one up to mess around with until the summer/fall when I plan to upgrade. If you get an AM2+ board you can use your DDR2.

As a person who is on a daily driver of a 775. While having a higher sockets in the home. Hey don't judge, my Q8200/UD3L/6GB RAM is a great daily machine...

Keep the machine going as you need. Saving up for the next gen stuff.

I kept with older sockets for some time, looking to upgrade the CPU/RAM as it aged. When I lost an important part. I was forced to buy all new parts pretty much. I was stuck in a socket hole. My old 754 socket is a prime example. I had a lot invested in that. When the board died. I lost a lot of time and energy trying to find a good setup to replace it. No parts could be found really. I should of looked towards neww parts, and got on the ball as the socket aged.
Thinking, it was overall better to have kept the funds and upgraded to a modern socket.

Definitely save up bits and pieces there, until you have money for something new. A few years back, it may have been worth it to upgrade on the same platform, but these days, it just isn't. Every cent you spend on that platform is one less cent you will have when you really need it.

Also, if you build a completely new system, a backup full system is always useful as something to use as a downloading/browsing system or other useful things to offload off your main...

If you could get a QX9650 for free from someone, though, it might be fun to mess with it on that board. The 4 pin cpu connector will greatly hinder overclocking, though; you'll need a lot more vcore than on something like a P45 board, and you risk burning out a 4 pin connector as well (this happened with my p5wdh and a qx9650 when I put volts into it, over time).
Definitely don't bother upgrading anything unless you get the parts for free...

Back