• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD caviar black not detected

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kommanderkodiak

So i recently reinstalled Windows 7 64 because my crucial C300 series 6gb/s SSD wasnt detected every so often on start up, acronis couldnt clone an image over to the new for some reason. I then reinstalled and switched my marvell controller to ahci mode because of the native TRIM support, upon start up under computer i do not see my WD HDD.

I went into my bios and dont even SSD listed only my Bluray drive, but in the POST both of my drives are detected and at SATAIII-6gb/s.

My specs are as follows
WIndows 7 Ultimate 64

I7-950 D0

MSI Big Bang XPower v 1.4

EVGA GTX580 Superclocked Blackops edition

Mushkin enhanced Silverline 12gb triple channel kit DDR3SDRAM 1333@1066 (help me with this too lol, need to manually set the timings)

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB

WD caviar Black 64mb cache 1tb

Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler

HAF-932 Case

LG super multi Bluray reader

viotek 1200watt

Did you clear CMOS and "start over" so to speak with the BIOS? I would double check all the connections including power connections to the drives.

Sounds like your SSD is dying. You are getting the same symptoms I did when my drive was about to die. Your wd black should still be there though, just make sure in bios you set it boot priority order correctly.

the replacement SSD is refurb that was put in last night
i went under bios again and under my SATA ports
only the second sata port shows anything which is my bluray reader

0 and 2-6 show nothing and i cant change their values

EDIT * my WD is detected under devices and on POST but under computer its not listed, also when my friend was doing acronis i dont believe he formatted the WD HDD (thats the reason im looking for it under Computer so i can format it from there)

O yea you will need to go into windows control panel - admin tools - computer management - storage, then reformat the drive through there.

Check your connections then for your drives, but let me just inform you that brand new ssd can also mean dying ssd. I am on my 3rd one from OCZ. First one lasted me a year, rmaed it, 2nd one lasted me 5 hours at most, rmaed it. Third one is running strong for 1 month so far. All were brand new from the factory in Taiwan. Just a heads up.

oh man stay away from OCZ

but yeah its possible ill be pissed if thats the case, instarefund/upgrade.

Ok under disk management i see the WD its udner

Disk 1
dynamic
forgein

my options are: convert to basic disc, import foreign disk, offline, properties, and help

there wasnt so i converted it to a basic disc, and now its says all the stuff is unallocated (meaning cleared) but i still dont have format options and it still doesnt register under computer

does creating a simple volume assign a disk Letter? yup it does arlight what should the specific settings be marsh/

NTFS or exfat
allocation size 512-64K <== this dependes on the types of files you store so if you plan on having mostly big files then set to 64k if a mixture go with a middle of the road
volume label

thanks marsh!

Last edited:
yeah its fixed now :D thanks marsh i just had to convert it to basic. now i just have to make a bootable cd for my SSDs firmware update

Back