• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvida 3DTV and 3DVision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thobel

What is the difference between them?
How do I know if a TV Supports both?
Do you need Both? Or are they different ways of getting the same thing?

I'm looking to upgrade my livingroom TV to a 60-65" LED-LCD most likley a Samsung (Unless the don' support Nvidia)

I'll be using my old gaming pc to play games/Act as a media center play blueray etc
Specs of PC
980x
3x GTX 480's

AV Reciever is Onkyo HT-S3300 Says its supported with 3dtv.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-requirements.html
Any advice would be great its my first look at 3D and don't want to mess up and get the worng TV

Last edited:
you just download and buy nvidia 3dtv play from there site and any 3d tv can be used with and pc games no need to buy the 3dvision compatible ones.nvidia was ahead of the currve on 3d so for awile there they tried to standardize 3d gaming but the samsung 3d tv's with the 240 hz are better than the 3dvision monitors that nvidia is selling. im on a samsung UN46C8000XF in my office and the tv is insanest amazing picture i have ever seen my wife acualy cred when watching a underwater 3d imax film cuz she felt like she was there and said it was almost spiritual lol.

you just download and buy nvidia 3dtv play from there site and any 3d tv can be used with and pc games no need to buy the 3dvision compatible ones.nvidia was ahead of the currve on 3d so for awile there they tried to standardize 3d gaming but the samsung 3d tv's with the 240 hz are better than the 3dvision monitors that nvidia is selling. im on a samsung UN46C8000XF in my office and the tv is insanest amazing picture i have ever seen my wife acualy cred when watching a underwater 3d imax film cuz she felt like she was there and said it was almost spiritual lol.

So 3dtv is all I need to worry about and your saying it works on any Samsung 3d tv?

any of the samsung 3d tv's will work fine=)) or any other brand that is a 3d but the samsung's are sweet

any of the samsung 3d tv's will work fine=)) or any other brand that is a 3d but the samsung's are sweet

Someone is telling something about games only running in 24hz/24 fps @1080p
you know anything about that cause I cant see playing games at 24fps?

no i have never heard anything like that,i know the samsung's run at 240hz and when you switch to an input that is running at 240hz it will display as 24hz to abbreviate for some reason,my samsung 3d bluray player displays as 24hz on the tv when i switch to that input but it is running in 240hz for 3d so maybe that is confusing that person.heck even the ps3 will run 3d games at 60hz on the tv's so i couldn't imagine someone running a game at 24hz heck 3d wouldn't even work at that speed the shutter would be unusable as the signal is split for each eye that would be 12hz for each eye lol

no i have never heard anything like that,i know the samsung's run at 240hz and when you switch to an input that is running at 240hz it will display as 24hz to abbreviate for some reason,my samsung 3d bluray player displays as 24hz on the tv when i switch to that input but it is running in 240hz for 3d so maybe that is confusing that person.heck even the ps3 will run 3d games at 60hz on the tv's so i couldn't imagine someone running a game at 24hz heck 3d wouldn't even work at that speed the shutter would be unusable as the signal is split for each eye that would be 12hz for each eye lol

I found this but no idea at all what it means lol

1080p/24
An abbreviation referring to video content with resolution, displayed at a frame rate of 24 frames-per-second. This is the standard frame rate for film-based content; the vast majority of Blu-ray movies are encoded in 1080p/24. Most HDTVs display images at 60 fps so only TVs capable of displaying frames in multiples of 24 (such as 120 Hz or 240 Hz HDTVs) can properly display 1080p/24
http://reviews.cnet.com/hdtv-resolution/?tag=rb_content;rb_mtx

hmm interesting there saying displays that can run the video at 24hz will have a better picture than the 60hz i had never hear that before lol.
"Not every 1080p HDTV properly displays 1080p/24 sources, however. Most Blu-ray players, as well as the PlayStation 3, have a setting that lets the player transmit 1080p/24 video directly. Blu-ray Discs with movies that originate on film are encoded at 1080p/24 to preserve the proper cadence of film--that characteristic motion that's smooth but not too smooth. If your player is set to output 1080p/24 directly, and your TV can properly display it, you're seeing the image as close as possible to what the director intended--how it looks when displayed on a cinema screen from a film projector at your local movie theater. "

however it works all i know is that these samsung's have the most beautiful and realistic picture quality i have ever seen bluray and 3d content is fantastic on these tv's

hmm interesting there saying displays that can run the video at 24hz will have a better picture than the 60hz i had never hear that before lol.
"Not every 1080p HDTV properly displays 1080p/24 sources, however. Most Blu-ray players, as well as the PlayStation 3, have a setting that lets the player transmit 1080p/24 video directly. Blu-ray Discs with movies that originate on film are encoded at 1080p/24 to preserve the proper cadence of film--that characteristic motion that's smooth but not too smooth. If your player is set to output 1080p/24 directly, and your TV can properly display it, you're seeing the image as close as possible to what the director intended--how it looks when displayed on a cinema screen from a film projector at your local movie theater. "

however it works all i know is that these samsung's have the most beautiful and realistic picture quality i have ever seen bluray and 3d content is fantastic on these tv's

I love samsung I'm more worried about how it 3d games now

oh i have played a few games on it and it looks incredible,most my games have been on ps3 and xbox tho for it.but did run a few pc demos with nvidia's 14 day trial of there $40 software "3dtv play".and i do game on my pc at times i just have so many friends playing on xbox these days i never have time to play on my pc but i will buy that softwear from nvidia one of these days=))

oh i have played a few games on it and it looks incredible,most my games have been on ps3 and xbox tho for it.but did run a few pc demos with nvidia's 14 day trial of there $40 software "3dtv play".and i do game on my pc at times i just have so many friends playing on xbox these days i never have time to play on my pc but i will buy that softwear from nvidia one of these days=))

can you tell me the fps you get @1920/1080 with what games and settings in 3d?

no my demo time is up on the nvidia 3dtv play and i didn't really pay attention to the fps i was in to much awe of my new tv lol. but with your tri sli i dont think you will be having any problems running the games in 3d with just about any settings you like.

240Hz TVs don't accept 240Hz signals. If the TV says 24Hz that's what it's receiving. Many movies are filmed at 24fps, and to display that properly you need a TV that can display 24fps or a multiple of that for displaying the same frame multiple times before switching to the next frame. W/ a 240Hz TV each frame can be displayed 10 times; 10:10 is another name for this. On a 60Hz TV 60 is not an even multiple of 24, so the 1st frame is displayed twice, and the next frame is displayed 3 times. This happens 12 times per second for a total of 60fps, and is called 3:2 pull-down. 3:2 pull-down can introduce some judder during panning shots, and is undesirable to most videophiles.

The 240Hz (and 480Hz, etc) TVs are somewhat of a gimmick. It can't receive a 240Hz source. Most sources will be 60Hz. The TV still refreshes the screen 240 times per second, so each frame just gets displayed 4 times. That is unless you have interpolation turned on (aka motion smoother, auto motion, etc). The TV will do some extra processing to add extra frames in the middle. This is also undesirable to most videophiles as it looks unnatural, and can add artifacts. At least it's adjustable on most TVs now, so that you can dial it in if you like it a little. For gaming it's best to turn it off as any extra processing can introduce lag.

But a 240Hz panel does have advantages over 120Hz and 60Hz panels in other ways. The faster refresh rate means the pixels can switch faster, so there should be less motion blur even w/ the interpolation turned off. 3D image quality will improve since a major issue w/ 3D in general is cross-talk; the faster refresh rates help to overcome this. And it's a newer panel, and will most likely have improvements in other areas that come w/ time.

I'm still figuring out the 3D stuff, but I'll add what I can. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on anything below.

The 3D TVs can accept a 120Hz signal for 3D input, and this allows 60fps for each eye. Gaming like this you'd ideally want to use vsync and have it locked at 120fps. If the card(s) can't keep up then the fps might drop to 90fps (if you are using triple-buffering), 60fps, or 30fps. 90fps and 60fps might still be acceptable in some cases as at 60fps each eye is getting 30fps which is OK for some games. At 30fps each eye only gets 15fps and that's a 3D slideshow. Three 480's should be fine, though.

OP said:
I'll be using my old gaming pc to play games/Act as a media center play blueray etc
Specs of PC
980x
3x GTX 480's

You're making me feel old w/ that comment!

240Hz TVs don't accept 240Hz signals. If the TV says 24Hz that's what it's receiving. Many movies are filmed at 24fps, and to display that properly you need a TV that can display 24fps or a multiple of that for displaying the same frame multiple times before switching to the next frame. W/ a 240Hz TV each frame can be displayed 10 times; 10:10 is another name for this. On a 60Hz TV 60 is not an even multiple of 24, so the 1st frame is displayed twice, and the next frame is displayed 3 times. This happens 12 times per second for a total of 60fps, and is called 3:2 pull-down. 3:2 pull-down can introduce some judder during panning shots, and is undesirable to most videophiles.

The 240Hz (and 480Hz, etc) TVs are somewhat of a gimmick. It can't receive a 240Hz source. Most sources will be 60Hz. The TV still refreshes the screen 240 times per second, so each frame just gets displayed 4 times. That is unless you have interpolation turned on (aka motion smoother, auto motion, etc). The TV will do some extra processing to add extra frames in the middle. This is also undesirable to most videophiles as it looks unnatural, and can add artifacts. At least it's adjustable on most TVs now, so that you can dial it in if you like it a little. For gaming it's best to turn it off as any extra processing can introduce lag.

But a 240Hz panel does have advantages over 120Hz and 60Hz panels in other ways. The faster refresh rate means the pixels can switch faster, so there should be less motion blur even w/ the interpolation turned off. 3D image quality will improve since a major issue w/ 3D in general is cross-talk; the faster refresh rates help to overcome this. And it's a newer panel, and will most likely have improvements in other areas that come w/ time.

I'm still figuring out the 3D stuff, but I'll add what I can. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on anything below.

The 3D TVs can accept a 120Hz signal for 3D input, and this allows 60fps for each eye. Gaming like this you'd ideally want to use vsync and have it locked at 120fps. If the card(s) can't keep up then the fps might drop to 90fps (if you are using triple-buffering), 60fps, or 30fps. 90fps and 60fps might still be acceptable in some cases as at 60fps each eye is getting 30fps which is OK for some games. At 30fps each eye only gets 15fps and that's a 3D slideshow. Three 480's should be fine, though.

You're making me feel old w/ that comment!

Wow very helpful! I have been trying to get info about this from 100 forums with almost no luck. I'm waiting on the new Samsung 65" 3d-led's coming for 2011 I have a Samsung now and have been very happy with it.

ps I am old so don't feel old :)

Well I tried it last night and it does work well, I just don't understand why it won't run 1920x1080 in 3d though. It will run x720 but not x1080? COD and WoW look really cool. Crysis didn't like it for some reason.

Gaming on the couch it not comfortable at all though. heh

Well I tried it last night and it does work well, I just don't understand why it won't run 1920x1080 in 3d though. It will run x720 but not x1080? COD and WoW look really cool. Crysis didn't like it for some reason.

Gaming on the couch it not comfortable at all though. heh

will just have to move that tv to your office like i did lol

Back