• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ipod Nano survives washing machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

My daughter won a Nano in a school function and has not been without it since. She had a habit of clipping it to her bra so it wasn't seen and wouldn't get left in a pocket. My wife did the laundry the other day and found it in the bottom of the washer, well it is clean. I have used alcohol and rice on cell phones before but nothing with a sealed in battery. Well it survives and is working, screen faded out after several hours of use but I think that it may come back as it dries out a little more. I really didn't think it would work but am happy it did.
Don't throw those wet devices away!

I had a playstation 1 that went through a flood (underneath a foot of water). I set it out and let it dry for a couple of weeks. I plugged it in and it fired right up. I think that the best thing to do is just let wet electronics sit and thoroughly dry out before trying to power them up. Glad to hear it is still working.
-Greg

That's good to hear. The natural reaction would be trying to turn it on right away to see if it's still alive... big mistake many people make.

This one of the new Nano's with the touch screen?

Yes but it looks like it only partialy works. The screen which came on at first faded out. She can still use it but you can't see what you are doing, it must have had a drop inside somewhere. It also killed the life of the battery cause it won't stay charged but a few hours. Had it been a changable battery it probably would have been allright, but I also think we should have let it dry more then a few hours before hooking it up to the computer. I honestly did not think that it was possible that it would power right up when attached to the USB port because it had only been about six hours since it was found in the wash. Next time it will be in alcohol for a day and in the rice for two. If the screen does not come back by the weekend I guess I will get her another.

Back