• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard drive powering down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amaciose

Registered
I'm currently having a problem with my internal storage drive powering down in my computer. I have my OS and programs on a RAID 0 Raptor setup, and I keep all my documents on a 1TB Caviar Black. Every now and then, I will hear my storage drive powering down, I'm assuming because it wasn't in use. However, whenever I need to use the drive again, I have to wait for it to spin back up, and it's just recently been getting annoying. Is there a power setting I can change on the hard drive or is the hard drive showing signs of failure? It works perfectly fine when it's spinning, it seems to just power down whenever I spend long times browsing the internet, where I'm assuming the storage drive isn't being used.

That would be helpful ^^!!

Regardless though, there are power settings you can change to have hte drive not spin down, and depending on the OS (see above) determines where it is exactly. But just not its in power settings somewhere. ;)

Wow, haha I didn't realize the fix was that simple. I had the power setting set on High Performance so I assumed all the power saving options like that would be disabled. I didn't even think of this easy of a solution. Hahah, thanks!!

Back