• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1GB Sapphire Radeon HD 5770's in CrossFire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KillerNuma123

Registered
I just set up two of these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ppphire_radeon_hd_5770-_-14-102-873-_-Product) in CrossFire today. I'm slightly worried that the performance I'm getting from them isn't what it should be. All of my other system specs are good, I'm running an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T CPU, 8GB DDR3 RAM, etc. When I run 3DMark06 I'm only getting a score of slightly over 19,000. In Just Cause 2, I'm only getting about 60 FPS average. While playing the Crysis 2 demo, I experience quite a bit of slowdown even on medium settings. Is this normal, and if not, why isn't it performing well?

First off 3dmark 06 has no crosfire or SLI scaling what so ever. I did get 20000k on 3dmark 06 witha single 5770 but that was because it had a massive overclock on it, normal 5770's get around 16k-17k. As for Just Cause 2 that is a pretty demanding game in which I have barely 60fps. Download 3dMark 11, that'll give a real clear indication of if your Xfire is working or not. 2 5770's is equal to one 5870 so try to compare your performance to that card.

3d06 has Crossfire/SLI scaling... ;)

@ Killer - With your Hex at stock speeds, and 06 factoring in the CPU speed as well as the bench running at a low resolution, is why you are seeing those type of scores in 06. Overclock the heck out of that CPU as well as your cards and that score will skyrocket.

3dMark 06 does have scaling, you are right, but it's terrible scaling. http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/powercolor_hd5770_crossfire/13.htm Here's an example, only a 2k increase to 19k. I've gotten 20k with an overclocked CPU and 5770. 3DMark 11 and Vantage scale much better. So do most games like Dirt 2, Crysis, Battlefield. Earth Dog's right, that you should overclock your CPU to a good 4ghz as in crossfire or in SLI, the CPU becomes a much bigger bottleneck, and push your GPU's a little bit. The 5770's you got aren't the good kind with voltage control so you'll only be able to get to around 925 on the core. Also, disable crossfire, run a game or a benchmark, then re enable it and see what difference you get. Don't assume you should be getting more performance then you are currently.

Its more or less b/c of the abhorrently low resolution that it runs it...but little scaling to absolutely none is a welcome correction. ;)

I'm getting 24-25k with my setup. My GPU is however probably better at 3DMark06 compared with your two 5770, simply as the others said, the scaling is very minor in in 3dMark06. Either way, my CPU is OC'd to 4ghz as well. So Honestly, those results look pretty normal. Like above said, OC your CPU and see how that changes.

Just remember when you OC the CPU you'll also notice a increase(albeit minor) in GPU performance too, depending on the application/game/benchmark.

EDIT: Checking some older benchmarks, my i7 at stock with GPU also at stock, sat around 20k. so ya, sounds pretty normal!!

When I tried overclocks with AMD OverDrive nothing ran right - everything was glitchy and had lines across it. I even tried turning down the overclock a bunch and this didn't help. Anything above stock speed was giving me weird results. Any ideas?

Also, I tried running GTAIV at max settings and i got an FPS of about 20-22. How is is possible that my cards are running such an old game so horribly?

That is normal with GTA really...And the cards are midrange cards to begin with... And since 1+1 /= 2 in GPU scaling world, there is part of your answer.

AMD Overdrive I thought was for the CPU... may want to try something for the GPU. MSI Afterburner I believe would work.

And no, OverDrive is for GPUs. It's a part of the Catalyst software suite. But if I try AfterBurner, how hot is too hot for my GPUs? I only have air cooling in my case and I'm not sure how hot is too hot for these cards. Right now they are running at very different speeds due to their being a fan directly over one of them. The first is as 34 C and the second at 46 C. Also, how do you recommend going about the overclock? Just scaling speeds up by 5-10MHz and checking it with a graphically intensive application each time?

Last edited:
Use MSI Afterburner for overclocking your cards, and don't worry that it's an MSI program, it will work with your card. Also the score you got is what you should be getting so it's working properly. You can't overclock too far or it will get unstable and start glitching and crashing.

That is normal with GTA really...And the cards are midrange cards to begin with... And since 1+1 /= 2 in GPU scaling world, there is part of your answer.

AMD Overdrive I thought was for the CPU... may want to try something for the GPU. MSI Afterburner I believe would work.

You can OC your gpu using Overdrive. I used it because it was there and I'm too lazy to get MSI Afterburner. :D Overdrive doesn't have cool features as does Afterburner like fan profiles etc.

And I just ran 3DMark11, I got a P4297.

I can't compare your results on 3dmark11 because it's blocked at work, :-/ but I searched your score and found this setup with the same score... P4297 - HD5870 - i7 930 - 6GB 1333 - Gigabyte X58A-UD3R so it looks like you're right on target with the cf 5770's. :clap:

EDIT: You guys are fast... beat me to it. Lol

Last edited:
In msi AfterBurner do I need to mess with the card voltage after I turn up the core clock/memory clock?

Like BT said, you will either start artifacting or freeze and need a reboot. At that point, back it down and add some voltage.

You should have Furmark or something running in the backround while you up your clocks so you can see artifacts. ;)

Keep your temps in check as described via PM.

ok. Last question. When I'm tweaking stuff in AfterBurner does it automatically do that to both GPUs?

Back