• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX 5970 - Few questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnmachine

XFX 5970 - Update** 2D mode crashing issues.

I am having issues with the card in 2D mode, I cannot get stable without crashing in 2D mode. I tried the clock change fix to 400/900 in 2d and it still was crashing, I also tried setting the clocks to 725/1000 and I still get crashes while watching videos.

The only way I can get it to work without crashing in 2d mode is to run ati tool in the background. Also 3d games work perfectly fine hours on end.

What gives????

Last edited:
Is this the card in question? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150500

If so; $350 CAD is a steal in my opinion.

Why can't you see the card working before buying it? If it's a local sell; why not arrange to go to seller's home and see the card in operation before buying? Or have the seller bring the card to your home and install it on your system before purchasing?

lol I really wish it was that one, it is this one. That is a good idea I will try asking him if that is a possibility, but I am a bit weary of going to some strangers house with $350 but I guess I could ask a buddy to come along.

Also the 5970 would be nearly double the performance of my SLI 260's maybe even more right? Since they are comparable to a single 5870.

lol I really wish it was that one, it is this one. That is a good idea I will try asking him if that is a possibility, but I am a bit weary of going to some strangers house with $350 but I guess I could ask a buddy to come along.

Also the 5970 would be nearly double the performance of my SLI 260's maybe even more right? Since they are comparable to a single 5870.

Well... You have to weigh your options/risk...
Risk getting a brick? or risk getting mugged? Either way you're out $350.

Just contact the guy and ask if you can test drive the card before purchasing; if he's reluctant... Walk away since it's most likely dead and he's just trying to scam you.

Well... You have to weigh your options/risk...
Risk getting a brick? or risk getting mugged? Either way you're out $350.

Just contact the guy and ask if you can test drive the card before purchasing; if he's reluctant... Walk away since it's most likely dead and he's just trying to scam you.

Very true, thanks for your advice I will update as soon as I speak with him.

Thanks for your reply!

I thought XFX has a double lifetime warranty on all their cards. If the guy is the first owner then get him to transfer the warranty to you. :)

I thought XFX has a double lifetime warranty on all their cards. If the guy is the first owner then get him to transfer the warranty to you. :)

Yes it does and he has it registered so it will be transferred. I will be meeting him tomorrow to check out the card, I will most likely be buying it. I took Seba's advice and he agreed to let me check it out on his rig, will keep y'all posted.

Thanks for all the replies!

Now that I think of it...

Your first post mentioned $350 CAD... So you're in Canada...

See; this changes all that stuff about getting mugged. No way you get mugged in Canada; you guys are too nice to do that.

AFAIK know the only place in Canada where crime happens is called Detroit...
Am I wrong?

LOL well I don't where pwnmachine lives but I guess it's pretty safe here in Vancouver... haven't heard much about mugging. We still have crimes though, probably not as much as the US... I dunno! xD

Thanks for all your help guys I just got the card, it works fantastically. I have not benched it yet since I did not have time, but I got him to come down to $330:p:p:p

Also, I live in Calgary which is really safe but you can never be to careful.

Thanks for all your help guys I just got the card, it works fantastically. I have not benched it yet since I did not have time, but I got him to come down to $330:p:p:p

Also, I live in Calgary which is really safe but you can never be to careful.

congrats, on the 5970 for a steal! i got mine at 900gpu/1000mem, never had any problems with it so you should have fun with it! let us know how ur rig runs now.

congrats, on the 5970 for a steal! i got mine at 900gpu/1000mem, never had any problems with it so you should have fun with it! let us know how ur rig runs now.

I am having issues with the card in 2D mode, I cannot get stable without crashing in 2D mode. I tried the clock change fix to 400/900 in 2d and it still was crashing, I also tried setting the clocks to 725/1000 and I still get crashes while watching videos.

The only way I can get it to work without crashing in 2d mode is to run ati tool in the background. Also 3d games work perfectly fine hours on end.

What gives????

What gives????

I believe that has to do with the way the 5970's BIOS is set up to down clock the card at idle (2D)...

There are fixes for it, but I don't know enough on them cards to point you to a reliable fix.... So I'll bow out and let one of the experts point you in the right direction.

Back