• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gentoo use one computer to build and push binaries

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
I'm looking for a method to have my main desktop build and push binaries to my netbook. I'm using gcc 4.5, so they both have the core2 march. I've been using distcc but that just isn't cutting it. Most packages can't really use distcc to an advantage. It's better than nothing but not great. I know there has to be a way to do this with portage. Anyone know how? I've tried googling but I can't find anything but I might not just be searching for the right thing.

Thanks

if you are needing help setting it up after reading the documentation, i know MRD would know how to help you. he uses gentoo for like everything and builds packages for other systems. i used to do it for a short time but i don't have that setup anymore so i can't really be of much help.

Are the arch settings of both systems the same? I think if you're going to use the built binaries of your other system to create a repository, I believe the arch's have to be the same. So if you're rocking a high end gentoo desktop with a bunch of cpu instruction use flags set and x86_64 when your netbook is just a 32 bit machine... it may not work that way.

Upon further investigation, I think what I want to do more is setup a build host, similar to this. What I want though is to create a chroot enviroment where I'll just build binaries. I'll create a script that when I want to emerge something, sends an emerge --buildpkgonly request to my chroot environment, and when it's done reports back and my netbook then emerges using the binary server.

They both are the same arch, AMD64, and march of core 2. So if this works I'll also add the binary server to my desktops emerge so if the package already has a binary it wouldn't compile it's own source.

yeah youd have one server with a cron job to update teh portage tree then build all the packages. then all other computers would use that as their portage rsync host and grab all the packages off it. it's actually a good idea to do something similar if you have multiple gentoo systems on one network so you have one master portage server and all others sync to that to save some WAN bandwidth.

Back