• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Sandy Bridge Build (Problems, Help Wanted)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nitro13

Registered
Hey guys i'm pretty new around here so i hope this goes over well. Recently i purchased a new build here are the specs first of all:
Mobo - Asus p8p67 pro
CPU - i5-2500k
GPU - SLI MSI 560 ti Twin frozrII OC
RAM - Dual Channel DDR3 Corsair Dominator 1866 9-9-9-24 8gb
PSU - Ultra x4 750w
Cooling - H50 water cooling on CPU, RAM cooling fan

I got the comp up and running on first boot it turned on for like 5secs turned off then back on and kept running fine. that is the first issue and I have no clue what to do on that one.

Secondly i went to overclock to 4.5ghz everything set to what everyone says - turbo on, all cores by 45, cpu voltage 1.255, load line on Ultra high. I dont know what i might be forgetting but it was all set up...I think and whenever i would turn the comp off from it being overclocked it would not boot up again i would get the error overclocking has failed please run setup.

And last my PSU is really loud like the fan seems to be running quite fast from what i can hear of it, also wondering on that. (3000+rpms i just checked BIOS)

And is there a reason to overclock the 560s?? would i get a performance boost? and how do i do it?

Big wall of text sorry guys this is just bugging me and I'm looking to learn a bit more with this.

Bios version is 1053 with a Sloth as my image :clap:

Thanks for the help guys here is the build

Attachments

• 100MEDIA_IMAG0046.jpg
    100MEDIA_IMAG0046.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Hey guys i'm pretty new around here so i hope this goes over well. Recently i purchased a new build here are the specs first of all:
Mobo - Asus p8p67 pro
CPU - i5-2500k
GPU - SLI MSI 560 ti Twin frozrII OC
RAM - Dual Channel DDR3 Corsair Dominator 1866 9-9-9-24 8gb
PSU - Ultra x4 750w
Cooling - H50 water cooling on CPU, RAM cooling fan

I got the comp up and running on first boot it turned on for like 5secs turned off then back on and kept running fine. that is the first issue and I have no clue what to do on that one.

Secondly i went to overclock to 4.5ghz everything set to what everyone says - turbo on, all cores by 45, cpu voltage 1.255, load line on Ultra high. I dont know what i might be forgetting but it was all set up...I think and whenever i would turn the comp off from it being overclocked it would not boot up again i would get the error overclocking has failed please run setup.

And last my PSU is really loud like the fan seems to be running quite fast from what i can hear of it, also wondering on that. (3000+rpms i just checked BIOS)

And is there a reason to overclock the 560s?? would i get a performance boost? and how do i do it?

Big wall of text sorry guys this is just bugging me and I'm looking to learn a bit more with this.

Bios version is 1053 with a Sloth as my image :clap:

Thanks for the help guys here is the build

I'd say you have a startup power requirement problem:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/02/21/msi_n560gtx_ti_twin_frozr_ii_oc_sli_review/9

It's only rated at 648 watts 12v rail.

How many hard drives, RAM sticks?

I have 1 harddrive and 1 external always plugged in both 1 terabyte and 4 sticks of ram

I have 1 harddrive and 1 external always plugged in both 1 terabyte and 4 sticks of ram

Did you run extensive Memtest86 on your RAM's? You need to know if all four sticks are running together without errors at stock speeds. Set your BIOS timings and voltage to factory specs and test them at their default speed.

From a boot disk, boot CD or USB, V4.10 or V4.20:

http://www.memtest.org/

Did you run extensive Memtest86 on your RAM's? You need to know if all four sticks are running together without errors at stock speeds. Set your BIOS timings and voltage to factory specs and test them at their default speed.

From a boot disk, boot CD or USB, V4.10 or V4.20:

http://www.memtest.org/

Going to do the test now, the ram is set to 1866 9-9-9-24 at 1.65v

Going to do the test now, the ram is set to 1866 9-9-9-24 at 1.65v

Nitro,

Let it run for a few hours to make sure they are ok. Many assume RAM's are good when new but they not always are. CPU & GPU's at stock too?

If you can get into your operating system and RAM's are good, run SuperPi 32 MB. If that's good, run Orthos95 (Prime 95 with a nice GUI). All at stock speeds. You're really pushing that Ultra X4. You can also disconnect all your hard drives except OS to boot it if you have trouble, will reduce power requirements for startup.

Last edited:
Everything is at stock, the cpu, gpu both stock now turbo only to 3.7

This is normal for a first boot when just putting together a system.

1.255v is pretty low for 4.5Ghz. I would imagine 1.35v would be more appropriate. With the amount of ram you had, you may need some additional vtt/qpi voltage (try .05 - .1)

How is your bios checking your PSU fan speeds? Regardless, you likely shouldnt be able to hear it at at idle. Are you sure its the PSU fan?

My initial question is why did you get two of those cards in the first place? One will run one monitor @ 1920x1080 just fine.

ED,

Thanks a bunch looking in on this. I'll let the overclocking the SB to you guys that have them or tested them. :thup:

Just wanted to get him into the fundamentals correctly and go from there. According to H[ardop], that Ultra X4 750 (648W 12V rail) is pushing his luck for overclocking those GPU's/CPU with 4 hard drives/RAM's.

It is really? (the PSU). Those a good units, and no way is that thing, even fur loaded hitting 600W. Those 560's TDP is what, 150W or so?

You definately have him on the right track checking things! What stuck out to me the most was the WAY low vcore for 4.5Ghz...

It is really? (the PSU). Those a good units, and no way is that thing, even fur loaded hitting 600W. Those 560's TDP is what, 150W or so?

You definately have him on the right track checking things! What stuck out to me the most was the WAY low vcore for 4.5Ghz...

That's what I thought on that Ultra but the the Hardop tests really blew it away with that 628W gaming test!! I could understand if the test was OCCT or similar.

Drat! I cant get to [H] from the office... :(

Well, if thats the case, and we of course trust Kyle and his reviews, then that may be an issue.

First though I would see if the voltage is the issue...

That's what I thought on that Ultra but the the Hardop tests really blew it away with that 628W gaming test!! I could understand if the test was OCCT or similar.

Sorry for going off subject briefly. What do you guys use to measure how much wattage is being drawn by the system?

Thanks for all the replies guys, right now my cards are at stock speeds, my RAM is set right, My CPU is running stock, and my PSU stopped pushing the fan so hard (just reset the comp and unplugged it) everything is running fine but should I overclock the CPU with a 1.35 voltage or just keep everything where they are cause my CPU temps are like 30degrees

Sorry for going off subject briefly. What do you guys use to measure how much wattage is being drawn by the system?

Mike,

This fellow posts some nice tests here. You can see what he uses:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668708

Thanks for all the replies guys, right now my cards are at stock speeds, my RAM is set right, My CPU is running stock, and my PSU stopped pushing the fan so hard (just reset the comp and unplugged it) everything is running fine but should I overclock the CPU with a 1.35 voltage or just keep everything where they are cause my CPU temps are like 30degrees

Nitro,

Keep in mind Memtest86 is not conclusive. Just because you pass it doesn't mean all is well. Running SuperPi 32mb test (about 10 minutes) is next, if it passes, then run Orthos for a few hours while watching your temps. You can pass Memtest and fail Orthos.

You need to take any possible hardware problems out of the equation, otherwise later you really don't know what the problem later when you're overclocked. When you know your hardware is ok at default, THEN you can start your overclocking on the CPU. Leave your GPU cards at stock and see if your power supply runs everything ok by just overclocking your CPU. We're trying to find out if your power supply can handle your system if your hardware is all ok. If it runs ok with an overclocked CPU, then you know there is a problem runnning SLI cards, either with your setup or the power supply can't handle them.

Earthdog knows the SB chips so his advice should be your guide for voltage.

Wouldnt hurt to take one of those 560s OUT to lower the 12v load just to see if that helps.

If you have a meter plug into a molex 12v line and watch it during boot up...if its dropping below say 11.6 its the psu.

Have you tried using the voltage offset to OC? That worked better for me. Go up 1 multi at a time starting at 40 instead of jumping right to 45. Keep adding more voltage offset as needed. And reduce LLC setting as it can cause your idle voltage to be too low and you either won't boot or have failures at idle.

On the 2500k I OC'd I left all the speedstep and C-state options on, so that it would run very cool at idle. With these new voltage offset options you can have a very fast OC'd PC, and still have it sip power and run super-cool when idle. :thup:

Back