• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD phenom b40 OCED bios screenshot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gin

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you see, I have +0.25 to cpu and to cpu north bridge vid

NBcpu = 2500, its fine?

Also can i bump from 3,5 to 3,6 3,7 with that +025?

ht is on 2000

thz anyway and sorry for my bad english.

Your changes look appropriate but Have you stress tested it with Prime95 yet to check core temps and stability?

Your changes look appropriate but Have you stress tested it with Prime95 yet to check core temps and stability?
I have used intel burn test for 30 minutes ond extreme mode and its stable, temps goes from 38 idle to a max of 55 during hard gaming.
Also is good to have oced the cpu nb? or it doesn't really matter.

Please use the Prime95 blend test for 10-15 minutes with the program, "CoreTemp" open while your are stressing. Report back about max core temp. If you are already hitting 55 in gaming I am concerned.

Please use the Prime95 blend test for 10-15 minutes with the program, "CoreTemp" open while your are stressing. Report back about max core temp. If you are already hitting 55 in gaming I am concerned.

Thank you, for the fast reply.

I can't read core temps, since its a unlocked version of athlon II x3 440 so I only read cpu temp, but core temps used to be 10ºC cooler than the cpu temps when it was a athlon II x3.

I run prime for 20 min, and the max cpu temp was 48 "by the way, here is at night in my country, so here is a little bit cool" at day it should be a little bit higher.
I forgot the stability, it was stable 0 erros and 0 warnings by prime.

48 is good so that would be about 38 for core temps according to the info you gave about differential between CPU and core temps when it was a 3 core CPU. You would seem to have lots of room for oveclocking from a temp standpoint. What are you cooling the CPU with? If those temps can be trusted that is really good.

Can you install CPU-z and upload screen shots of these tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD"?

Last edited:
48 is good so that would be about 38 for core temps according to the info you gave about differential between CPU and core temps when it was a 3 core CPU. You would seem to have lots of room for oveclocking from a temp standpoint. What are you cooling the CPU with? If those temps can be trusted that is really good.

Can you install CPU-z and upload screen shots of these tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD"?

I'm cooling the cpu with a cooler master cooler hyper n620 if I'm right, also a good thermal paste was applied.

here the pictures you ask for, thank for helping!

Use the "Snipping Tool" in Windows Accessories to capture screen images. It has a nice cropping feature which allows you to capture only part of the screen. When you upload screenshots of your whole desktop like that it shrinks the CPU-z tab images down so much I can't read the info contained in them.

Last edited:
Use the "Snipping Tool" in Windows Accessories to capture screen images. It has a nice cropping feature which allows you to capture only part of the screen. When you upload screenshots of your whole desktop like that it shrinks the CPU-z tab images down so much I can't read the info contained in them.

Hope this one its better, click the picture.

Everything looks appropriate to me. I note that you have the C2 stepping version of this CPU so it will take a little more vcore and make a little more heat than the C3 stepping version which may limit the final overclock. Having said that if your temps are as cool as you say they are you would seem to have room to increase the vcore and the CPU frequency for a little more overclock.

I assume you do not have the black edition and that you CPU multiplier is upwardly locked.

My only advice is concerning your ram settings. It is rated for DDR3 1333 but if you will look at the JEDEC #4 column in the CPU-z "SPD" tab it looks like the manufacturers is saying it will go higher if you relax the timings. My advice would be to relax the timings as the JEDEC #4 column suggests and bump the ram voltage to 1.525 or 1.55. and then try increasing the CPU frequency some more. A lot of people have gotten 3.8 ghz out of that CPU. To relax the timings you would need to set that parameter in bios to "Manual". You may see many more timings listed than what you see in the JEDEC columns but man of them are not that important and can be left on "Auto". Just focus on the five displayed in the JEDEC columns plus "Command Rate". Set Command Rate to 2T. The terminology may be a little different in your bios than in the CPU-z "SPD" tab JEDEC table but one can usually figure it out by looking at the size of the values themselves.

I would also suggest that at some point you run a longer stress test to confirm stability. Two hours of Prime95 blend maybe.

Last edited:
Everything looks appropriate to me. I note that you have the C2 stepping version of this CPU so it will take a little more vcore and make a little more heat than the C3 stepping version which may limit the final overclock. Having said that if your temps are as cool as you say they are you would seem to have room to increase the vcore and the CPU frequency for a little more overclock.

I assume you do not have the black edition and that you CPU multiplier is upwardly locked.

My only advice is concerning your ram settings. It is rated for DDR3 1333 but if you will look at the JEDEC #4 column in the CPU-z "SPD" tab it looks like the manufacturers is saying it will go higher if you relax the timings. My advice would be to relax the timings as the JEDEC #4 column suggests and bump the ram voltage to 1.525 or 1.55. and then try increasing the CPU frequency some more. A lot of people have gotten 3.8 ghz out of that CPU. To relax the timings you would need to set that parameter in bios to "Manual". You may see many more timings listed than what you see in the JEDEC columns but man of them are not that important and can be left on "Auto". Just focus on the five displayed in the JEDEC columns plus "Command Rate". Set Command Rate to 2T. The terminology may be a little different in your bios than in the CPU-z "SPD" tab JEDEC table but one can usually figure it out by looking at the size of the values themselves.

I would also suggest that at some point you run a longer stress test to confirm stability. Two hours of Prime95 blend maybe.

Playing with mem timings is something that sacres me, if I upload a picture of my bios mem configuration, could you edit it on pain and tell me what I should exactly change?

On the highlighted line above I think your options will be DCT0/DCT1/Both - choose "Both". (If your BIOS only has Auto/Manual then choose Manual.) After that, all you have to do is match the next 4 settings below it with the SPD value shown next to each one, 9, 9, 9, and 24. That will fix the timings to the SPD values and keep the RAM from interfering with your CPU overclock. The rest of the timings should take care of themselves if left on Auto, though you may need to change "Row Cycle Time" to 33.

After that, you might want to go back to the Memory Clock setting on the other page and change it to "x4.00". This will lower your RAM speed even farther than it is now but will get it ready to move the clock higher. When the CPU overclocking is complete you can come back to this and experiment with bringing it back up - but the CPU overclock is more important. :)

Last edited:
On the highlighted line above I think your options will be DCT0/DCT1/Both - choose "Both". (If your BIOS only has Auto/Manual then choose Manual.) After that, all you have to do is match the next 4 settings below it with the SPD value shown next to each one, 9, 9, 9, and 24. That will fix the timings to the SPD values and keep the RAM from interfering with your CPU overclock.

After that, you may want to go back the Memory Clock setting on the other page and change it to "x4.00". This will lower your RAM speed even farther than it is now but will get it ready to move the clock higher. When the CPU overclocking is complete you can come back to this and experiment with bringing it back up - but the CPU overclock is more important. :)

So basically, I have to choose both option, then I have to copy the 9-9-9-24t from spd "that seems to be stock" to the modified 7-7-7-20t?

Also, i can change the cpu from x14 to x15 wich menas 3,75ghz without touching fsb, so rams won't go up from 1333mhz, so in that case I could let rams timings on 7-7-7-20? or even without using fsb I should set 9-9-9-24t?
Thank you !

First, change "DDR3 Timing Items" to "Manual".

CAS# Latency change from 7 to 9

RAS to CAS R/W Delay (RAS# to CAS#) change from 7 to 9

Row Precharge Time (RAS# Precharge) from 7 to 9

Minimum RAS Active Time (tRAS) from 20T to 25T

1T/2T Command Timing (Command Rate) set to 2T

Row Cycle Time (tRC) change from 27 to 34

Leave the other timings on Auto. They aren't as important anyway.

Set voltage to 1.525.

Post CPU-z tabs pics again to check that I have correctly translated the terminology from JEDEC tables to your bios.

Last edited:
First, change "DDR3 Timing Items" to "Manual".

CAS# Latency change from 7 to 9

RAS to CAS R/W Delay (RAS# to CAS#) change from 7 to 9

Row Precharge Time (RAS# Precharge) from 7 to 9

Minimum RAS Active Time (tRAS) from 20T to 25T

1T/2T Command Timing (Command Rate) set to 2T

Row Cycle Time (tRC) change from 27 to 34

Leave the other timings on Auto. They aren't as important anyway.

Set voltage to 1.525.

Post CPU-z tabs pics again to check that I have correctly translated the terminology from JEDEC tables to your bios.

something like this ?

]

Also, i can change the cpu from x14 to x15 wich menas 3,75ghz without touching fsb, so rams won't go up from 1333mhz, so in that case I could let rams timings on 7-7-7-20? or even without using fsb I should set 9-9-9-24t?
Regardless of how you're going to try to increase the CPU speed you should change the timings to 9-9-9. If you're not going to raise the clock then you don't need to change the Memory Clock - you can leave it at x5.33 ...

something like this ?
Leave the other settings on Auto - or, if you're going to fill them in, use the "SPD" value shown NOT the "Auto" value.

Regardless of how you're going to try to increase the CPU speed you should change the timings to 9-9-9. If you're not going to raise the clock then you don't need to change the Memory Clock - you can leave it at x5.33 ...

Leave the other settings on Auto - or, if you're going to fill them in, use the "SPD" value shown NOT the "Auto" value.

Ok I'm going to set the other values with the SPD values!
I'll upload pictures after restart

Yes, that's it. So go ahead and change the: Row Cycle Time to 34.

Save, close and upload a pic of CPU-z "Memory" tab to check.

I don't see anything to set from 27 to 34, xD i think its cuz I'm so noob ... D:

Back