• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SCII runs crappy on 580 in big fights??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

Why does Starcraft II, on Ultra, run WORSE on this card, even at 940 core, than it did on my 6870 1GB??? It slows down in huge firefights while the 6870 really didn't. Wth?

I hadn't played SC on it much. Massive fight it slowed down way more than the 6870. weeeird??

Same settings. :sly:

I think the bigger question is why do you seem to only have problems with games, I can't remember the last time you posted saying that a game worked flawlessly after installing it.

Have you tried running FRAPS to see what could be causing the slowdown (water/etc)?

I have other problems. Read one of my 45,000 other posts :p

Anyways, it's not water it's literally when there is a large firefight. I have indeed run fraps. Not only does the framerate reduce but it also becomes very inconstant (instead of going from 60-30, it goes from 60 to 5-30-10-30-5-30 very rapidly until the big fight is over or reduces in scale.

The card performs well in every other program. Scores well in 3dm11.

Untitled-23.png

Ok got a better exp-- the card microstutters when ramping up to higher or lower detail levels (use max performance all the time is on in nvidia control panel).

This micro stutter is apparent in 2033 and BFBC2 I never noticed it before. As you go from a lower detail level to a higher one- say 30 units on screen to 300 in scII, or no light to flashlight on looking at 30 dead guys in 2033, there is a stutter (so it goes down to like 3fps for a split second) then it goes back up to near the previous level. Does that make sense? So as a firefight grows in number of units, it stutters, as if its loading in extra detail..

Last edited:
Sounds like a potential driver issue, have you messed around with various drivers for the 580? I assume you either did a fresh OS install after you installed it or did a full driver clean/sweep beforehand?

Sounds like hd problems...does your HD Light glow as this occurs?

Can't be a HD problem. Brand new HD. Problem wasn't present 1/2 hour before swapping 6870 for 580 and became obvious only with 580.

Ran driver sweeper after ATI uninstall. Did not reinstall OS.

Have only tried one driver :chair:.

So we'll give that a shot.

What ram and cpu are you using? Perhaps your other hardware cant keep up with the card now.. Just a thought even though its a little wacky. :p

i7 950 6GB 1600 CAS 7 and that doesn't make sense. If anything it'd be a no gain but not a loss.
Nice gecko btw. They're bastar ds but they're cute.

Hah yes.. I used to have 2! Indeed the rest of your rig seems to be more than enough to run it.. Its either a driver issue, or a hardware problem with the card then I would think. You say it runs all other games fine right?

Everything else runs rather amazingly, actually. More than fine. BFBC2 at 16/16/HBAO like WILL not slow down below 60fps.

This is a response from a rather knowledgeable person at Nvidia forum:

the reason SCII does that is because of RAM and CPU, not the video card. The way the drivers communicate with and use the CPU and RAM is what's causing it. There's a reason why the i7 2600k gets a 25% boost over previous i7's in Starcraft II Better communication and driver support (I would guess).

Are you playing these games with VSync on or off? If on, do you have Triple Buffering set in NVidia Control Panel? Also, make sure Threaded Optimization is set to On as both of those games should support it.

Everything else runs rather amazingly, actually. More than fine. BFBC2 at 16/16/HBAO like WILL not slow down below 60fps.

This is a response from a rather knowledgeable person at Nvidia forum:

the reason SCII does that is because of RAM and CPU, not the video card. The way the drivers communicate with and use the CPU and RAM is what's causing it. There's a reason why the i7 2600k gets a 25% boost over previous i7's in Starcraft II Better communication and driver support (I would guess).

Are you playing these games with VSync on or off? If on, do you have Triple Buffering set in NVidia Control Panel? Also, make sure Threaded Optimization is set to On as both of those games should support it.

Oh nice!

Did any of that fix your issue?

With FPS drops like that, sounds like you have Vsync enabled... when it cant hold that frame rate it drops down.

SC is also CPU heavy game...

Yes, vsync is on. Again, ran better on 6870 its a driver issue or a hd issue or something. HD1500WLFS (velociraptor 150) mfg Q4 2010

Went back to 263 09 driver. Somewhat improved.

Now going to try fresh W7 install with that driver and see if completely fixes the issue.

Last edited:
Back