• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to setup VMUbuntu Folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repilce

okay, so i got VMware player 3.0
And DL the 64bit Ubuntu 10.10 Image

Got the distro setup, works ok.

But i know that I need to edit a file so i can go from 4 to 8 cores/threads

But it's not in my /usuers/<username/documents directory, there's no VM folder??

edit:// Okay found the folder, because i read about the raid issues i installed the VM on my storage drive which i just a single drive, it was in the folder for the VM on that :D

Anything else i should know before i try to get FAH up and running on it?

Edit the .vmx file to change numvcpus = "4" to "8" and add the argument priority.ungrabbed = "idle"
In the setup, network should be bridged.

I prefer to put things where I want them.

If you're monitoring with HFM from another computer you have to share the folder and my personal preference is not to share folders in /opt. I create a /FAH folder in /home/username and run FAH from a shortcut.

Last edited:
Okay, that's what i was going to do, just dl'd the client and put in /home/FAH without anything else though i will have to run the client manually, no?

I edited my earlier post regarding the "proper" location. Tehcnically, FAH should be under username, rather than home, but it'll work there (the tilde in the path will not).
I usually create a few shortcuts using the text editor. I always put -smp and -verbosity 9 in extra parameters of advanced -configonly.

cd ~/FAH
./fah6

save to desktop, change permissions to make it executable, run in terminal and you're off and folding. Before you do that, you need to share the folder so that samba will install and you will be able to monitor the client with HFM.

Other shortcuts

cd ~/FAH
./fah6 -configonly

cd ~/FAH
./fah6 -oneunit

Last edited:
okay, does the "before i run it" part have something to do with trying to share it causing a fuss when it's running?

because i got "testparm" error in the window when trying to share and says "child process failed"

okay, does the "before i run it" part have something to do with trying to share it causing a fuss when it's running?

because i got "testparm" error in the window when trying to share and says "child process failed"

That was the same error I got when trying to share on Ubuntu 10.10. I had no problem sharing when I was in an earlier version of Ubuntu.

Other than that, I can't help you.

Can't share it while it's running. You may have to update 10.10 before sharing it. Did you select NAT or bridged networking? THat may affect sharing as well.

It was on nat, switched it to bridged with "replicate physical connection" now, i'll try and do an update on it.

wow.. 272 updates... we'll see how things go in a few.. lol

Well let's face it, if anyone could, it'd be you, and being yourself, even if it wasnt you.. you'd find the guy that did... :rolleyes:

I tried it after changing the network config, same error, so i'ma do a update on the distro, give it a ... "reboot" .. and see how it goes.

Move your FAH folder to the /home/username/ directory. Folders in home are seen as users and you aren't FAH so you can't share the folder.

Update 10.10 with update manager. Try to share the FAH folder. If it fails, open a terminal and type sudo apt-get remove samba. restart the session and try sharing the file again.

It should just see it, but Win 7 has given me fits with mixed networks (win 7, Ubuntu, XP). Try having Win 7 join the WORKGROUP workgroup (system and security,advanced system settings/computer name. Ubuntu is in the WORKGROUP by default). If that messes up other network settings, go to Ubuntu, open a terminal, type gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf and change the workgroup to your home workgroup name (ie MSHOME), save the file and exit gedit. restart ubuntu and then it should work.

If you go to Win 7 network and sharing center and turn off password protected sharing, the Ubuntu VM should be able to see the Win 7 shares. Does it?

Back