• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed New Processor and Graphics Card - Computer Won't Power

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_K

I was installing a Intel Q9550 and replacing an E7300 in my gigabyte motherboard. Earlier in the day I replaced my nVidia 9800 GT with a 460GTX. The computer was working fine earlier, but now once I replaced the processor and put it back together, there is no power.

I plug in the computer, and there is no lights, when I was pulling out the motherboard I tugged on the POWER SW, RESET SW cluster and I am not wondering whether I pulled out the wiring from the switch (But it is very difficult to get to)

I Guess my only other guess is that either the Power Supply is too weak to power all of this (But I'd figure I'd see some sort of lights) and Lastly that I mis-plugged something (Haven't peeked inside of this computer in two years) and that is why it won't turn on.

RIght now I am going to grab another case from work, and borrow its power switch.

Any advice on possible culprits would be greatly appreciated!

I am using the Cooler Master 600 and no I did not.

I just made sure the power switch was on, and when I pressed the on button, there was a flash of lights and the nothing.

Which makes me think Either A) Processor is not compatible (I know it works though, I just pulled it out of another cmoputer) or B) I miswired somewhere

Would swapping a Fan into the wrong slot Ie. CPU Fan for a SYS Fan cause it not to start?

I Just checked Gigabyte and it is support: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2951#

Did you forget to turn on the power switch on the PSU itself? Or it could be the 4 pin ATX CPU power connect that you have forgotten. I think the PSU should be powerful enough to power your system. Not sure if connecting a fan into the wrong slot will affect anything, maybe someone else would know.

I have the ATX 12V to the CPU and the 2x12 to the Main Power going. I guess its time to take it all apart and see if something is perhaps shorting the system?

Thank you for the input

Just an Update,
I took out the motherboard from the case, and slowly attached everything ..

I tried to Boot it from
CPU only...worked
CPU and GFX Card...worked
Everything else is working too now...

I Guess I am a little lost what was wrong, starting to wonder if my case is short circuiting the board...

I didn't bother connecting 3 extra HDDs and an extra CD Drive.

Installing Windows onto a Raptor Drive and just started Reading about SSDs...doh'

We'll so what happens what I put it all back in the case

Just an Update,
I took out the motherboard from the case, and slowly attached everything ..

I tried to Boot it from
CPU only...worked
CPU and GFX Card...worked
Everything else is working too now...

I Guess I am a little lost what was wrong, starting to wonder if my case is short circuiting the board...

I didn't bother connecting 3 extra HDDs and an extra CD Drive.

Installing Windows onto a Raptor Drive and just started Reading about SSDs...doh'

We'll so what happens what I put it all back in the case

Big K,

Are you saying it's working out of the case with your new chip? What kind of CPU cooler?

yay well done

you not lost you now know it works :):)

but do everything attatch everything too then you know it works

then instal in case and do same it will be something silly you missed :)

Back