• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a few tips from you pros on how to get some boints

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bennoculus

Hey guys,

I recently got into benching. I was usually just running the apps and scoring my hardware and I found that fun, but I had no where or anything to do with my scores until I found the benching team.

I'm currently at 10.40 boints. I have two rigs, but only one is currently accessible as the other one is at home and not at college with me. I pretty much ran every bench I could, minus heaven and aquamark. I plan on doing heaven because now I know how to upload scores. But aquamark just doesn't seem to work on my Windows7 machines.

Basically I'm just looking for tips on how to get higher scores/earn more boints per bench. I really do want to take my setup cold, however I'm currently broke. I will soon but I'm looking for some feedback on how I can get more out of my hardware.
I have clocked my CPU all the way up and got a pretty good CPUz score.

Any tips you guys may have for a new bencher?
Thanks!

for aquamark, I have the best luck with vista. and cpu speed is king. if you are running a 64bit os then there is a patch you will need to aquire and move 2 files into the root folder for aquamark. if you are running ati cards, you may want to navigate to the auamark folder and delete the lone xxxxx.dll file, dont remember what it is called but should be the only .dll in there

I have another drive with vista on it I could use for aquamark. I'm running NVIDIA cards.

Is the patch available for windows 7?

it is just a 64 bit patch. will work for any 64bit os

Cool. Thanks, I'll find it and give it a download. Appreciate the help.

Any tips for racking up some good boints?

I see you have two cards....make sure you also run all the 3D Benches with SLI disabled (in addition to your "normal" SLI runs) for single GPU points, they're usually worth more points :thup:

Also, make sure you take a look at the "Benchmark Buffet" :D

I see you have two cards....make sure you also run all the 3D Benches with SLI disabled (in addition to your "normal" SLI runs) for single GPU points, they're usually worth more points :thup:

Also, make sure you take a look at the "Benchmark Buffet" :D

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

My second GTX was on my other system. It's currently in the mail on it's way to me. I figured that'd be cheaper than shipping the whole entire system :p

I'll take a look at that article. I'm sure I rack some more boints up with my second GPU, as well as my GTS.
I'm just looking to see if you guys had some tips. I can't wait to take this thing cold and score big time.

if you are running ati cards, you may want to navigate to the auamark folder and delete the lone xxxxx.dll file, dont remember what it is called but should be the only .dll in there

This is the first time I've heard about this. Do you know the reasoning behind it, or just that it works?

I believe it fixes the "black screen, screenshot" problem. People normally take a screen shot of the scoring screen on AM3, then paste into paint, shrink the window and open the required instances of gpu-z and cpu-z. However with that lone .dll, the pasted screen shot of the AM3 window would give nothing but a black screen.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I got Aquamark to work. It took me about 20 minutes to find that flippin patch! Google and me just weren't getting along today...
Anyways I got Aquamark to run just fine, but even with my NVIDIA cards my screenshot came out blank. Just a note, maybe NVIDIA users still have to delete that .dll file.

Or, like MIAHALLEN said, use fraps. :thup:

Still working on getting heaven to accept the .html file types I throw at it. It just won't accept. :bang head

You're using the wrong heaven if it's putting out a HTML file.
You need to download the HWBot heaven and use that launcher.

I believe it fixes the "black screen, screenshot" problem. People normally take a screen shot of the scoring screen on AM3, then paste into paint, shrink the window and open the required instances of gpu-z and cpu-z. However with that lone .dll, the pasted screen shot of the AM3 window would give nothing but a black screen.

Anyways I got Aquamark to run just fine, but even with my NVIDIA cards my screenshot came out blank. Just a note, maybe NVIDIA users still have to delete that .dll file.

I had that problem too, but found out that when you hit print screen, it adds the screen shot into your "My Pictures" folder. I use that, then open up cpuz and gpuz.

Disable Aero if you're using Windows7 for aquamark. Aero on will cause PrtScn to be blank.

I had that problem too, but found out that when you hit print screen, it adds the screen shot into your "My Pictures" folder. I use that, then open up cpuz and gpuz.

+1 on this..

I found that trying to paste the printscreen to paint always resulted on black image, but going to the Aquamark folder found inside your "My Pictures" folder gave me image files that were not black.. Just opened that image file in paint and then arranged CPUz/GPUz windows around it.

If you run into black screens in the my pictures folder, prior to hitting print screen, click anywhere on the results page, then take the screenshot. Ran into that quirk this weekend.

You're using the wrong heaven if it's putting out a HTML file.
You need to download the HWBot heaven and use that launcher.

Good feedback guys thanks.

For the Heaven bench, I did download from the HWBot page and it still exports as a .html file.
On the HWBot Heaven description page it says version 1.0.3 but when I download it it's version 2.1. I googled all over for the correct Heaven version but just could not find it.

Good feedback guys thanks.

For the Heaven bench, I did download from the HWBot page and it still exports as a .html file.
On the HWBot Heaven description page it says version 1.0.3 but when I download it it's version 2.1. I googled all over for the correct Heaven version but just could not find it.

Here: Download the light version.

http://91.121.148.119/downloads/hwbot_unigine_heaven_v103/

On another note... If you really want to make some points quickly... Take a drive down to Fort Lauderdale, bring your HW (chip/MoBo) and we'll slap my Pot on top of it for a few hours... That should be more than enough to get you over the 20 points requirement.

:)

Here: Download the light version.

http://91.121.148.119/downloads/hwbot_unigine_heaven_v103/

On another note... If you really want to make some points quickly... Take a drive down to Fort Lauderdale, bring your HW (chip/MoBo) and we'll slap my Pot on top of it for a few hours... That should be more than enough to get you over the 20 points requirement.

:)

Thanks for the link Sebas.

Hell yeah, that'll be awesome I can't wait.
Something weird just happened on HWBot. I beat my previous score in 3DMark05 by two thousand marks, and it scored it as 0.0boints? I previously had 1.5...

Thanks for the link Sebas.

Hell yeah, that'll be awesome I can't wait.
Something weird just happened on HWBot. I beat my previous score in 3DMark05 by two thousand marks, and it scored it as 0.0boints? I previously had 1.5...

Go to your profile page and under Options click the calculator icon that will force the database to recalculate scores for all your best submissions.

Back