• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first build =D need help on a mobo though.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daris1015

Hey this is my first post so needless to say im a bit of a rookie at this stuff, but im learnign quickly. Im building a gaming rig right now.

AMD Athlon II x2 250 3.00GHz
Coolit Eco A.L.C.
Asus M477TD
2x 2gb Gskill 1333 DDR3
Evga Geforce GTX 460
1TB Seagate HDD
150GB WD HDD
Corsair tx650w power supply

I plan to get a new Mobo and CPU and going sli 460s. Ive read a few things saying my powersupply will be able to run it fine but other input would be great.

For a CPU id like to go intel i was looking at the S-bridge but i dont really know if i should get that or a i7 950. I plan on OC. Should i also get new ram? im not too worried about replacing stuff that i already have since im just handing the the parts down to pc im building for my friend.

I will be using my computer for gaming mainly. So stoked for BF3 :clap: I want to be fully prepared for when it comes out. haha.

Dont go SLI unless you have a multi monitor setup. With the money from 2 460's you can get a single card performing at 100% all the time, with less heat and power consumption if that matters to you.

I would get new ram if you plan to overclock, yes.

But +1 to para... budget please.

that psu will be fine for 2 460's, but dont do it, like ED said. SB would destroy an i7 950, so no doubt go sb. but it would help if u gave us ur budget. maybe get 1600mhz ram with a cl of 7?

Sandy Bridge 2500K and a decent mobo would suit you well. Go a single 5xx card, (say 570?) rather than the SLI option. If it's for gaming only, 2500k is perfectly fine, don't worry about the 2600K. 4GB of CL7 RAM too. Kgo

My budget would probably be around $700 for upgrades. I'm not really following a budget though Im just buying things slowly so I can get everything I want. I dont know if that makes sense. I was looking into getting a 570 but I already have the 460 and it would only cost like 200 for another card. But if you think that would be my best option I might sell it then pick a 570. I sometimes set up my second monitor to watch a movie Or read forums wile gaming but I usually only have one.

Ok so I'm definantly going to get the 2600 sb but what mobo? I was at NCIX and they said they're announcing a bunch of SB mobs next week.

Ya there was a stepping problem that affected some SATA ports so the B3 stepping boards are coming on the market slowly.

AFAIK most of the time 1 570 will out do 2 460s by quite a bit.

My budget would probably be around $700 for upgrades. I'm not really following a budget though Im just buying things slowly so I can get everything I want. I dont know if that makes sense. I was looking into getting a 570 but I already have the 460 and it would only cost like 200 for another card. But if you think that would be my best option I might sell it then pick a 570. I sometimes set up my second monitor to watch a movie Or read forums wile gaming but I usually only have one.

Ok so I'm definantly going to get the 2600 sb but what mobo? I was at NCIX and they said they're announcing a bunch of SB mobs next week.

Go with Sandy Bridge if your budget is that high. Well depends, I'm going with a Gigabyte UD7, then again I plan on doing Graphic benchmarks. MSI has a good ATX Mobo for the average PC gamer or editor. Perfect for Crossfire and SLI.

Save urself 100 bucks and go with the 2500k. Unless u really need the extra threads. And with that hundred bucks get urself a 60gb vertex 2

So even though i already have the one 460 you suggest getting the 570? if its really worth it ill defiantly give it more thought.

Single card benefits are that it's always working 100%, rather than potentially scaling bad in some games.. Less heat, less noise, less power.. If you can find a buyer for a good price to sell your 460, I'd do it. If not, do what you're comfortable with.

However I still say skip the 2600K and go the 2500K, for gaming you won't notice the difference really. And go the SSD option ;).

But again, we can only offer help/advise, up to you what you want to do in the end! We're not holding the cash ;)

The 2500k is the same proc as the 2600k except without HT (Hyperthreading).

The 100 $ you saved sould go into a 60gb SSD for the OS. It will increase by alot the general responsiveness of the comp.

The 2500k is the same proc as the 2600k except without HT (Hyperthreading).

The 100 $ you saved sould go into a 60gb SSD for the OS. It will increase by alot the general responsiveness of the comp.

More or less yes... But the 2600k has 8MB vs 6MB cache with a core/bus ratio of 34 vs 33. Other than that + HT yes it's the same :p

what? why would he want to sell his 460? its a perfectly awesome card?
650W with 2x 460 seems fine to me

Back