• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cold bug or just a dud chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wega!

If a chip cold bugs, wont it start up at all then? Or will it just perform badly? I'm running a E6600 under dive atm, and the darn thing wont even do CPU-Z above 4050Mhz :bang head Is it just a bad chip, or can it be some kind of cold bug? Does 775 CPU's even have cold bugs?

It even scales with voltage at those lousy speeds... = Crap chip?

From what I have been told 775 will CB around -125 give or take on average. I have been told that chips that don't do well on air may do really good under cold but I haven't heard anyone say the reverse is possible. Maybe someone with more 775 experience will chime in.

They do have coldbugs I think, though not at dice levels that I'm aware of.
I would drop the multi and see if it still eats it at 4ghz, or whether it still eats it at the same fsb.

I would drop the multi and see if it still eats it at 4ghz, or whether it still eats it at the same fsb.

Tried that, it's not a FSB wall. I'm running at only 440Mhz FSB now and cant get higher, but 475Mhz FSB was no problem with lower multiplier...

I had an x3340 that CB at about -90°C, a e8400 that CB at about -125°C, and a Q6600 with no CB at all.

Double checked all settings in bios to make sure nothing was turned on after a clear cmos when you changed cpu's?

I had an x3340 that CB at about -90°C, a e8400 that CB at about -125°C, and a Q6600 with no CB at all.

Make much difference with the Q6600 after a certain temp? other than just not having to worry about CB'ing during the runs.

Double checked all settings in bios to make sure nothing was turned on after a clear cmos when you changed cpu's?

Been through it a couple of times, and I'm using the same settings as I did when I ran 620Mhz FSB on this board.

If you have gone through all of that and its stopping at the same Freq. then I suggest you immediately box up your pot and ship it to Bobnova for extensive testing to make sure it is working correctly :rofl:

You have checked to make sure its not a FSB thing and all bios settings so if the chip is locking at the same Freq then I would guess its just not going to OC well. :bang head

I guess just triple check on everything and call it a dud :shrug:

it SOUNDS like you missed a setting or something like that...that or the chip is a complete dog

I triple checked:

Vcore
PLL (Working on a tip bob gave me)
VTT
NB volt
SB volt
DDR volt
FSB strap
RAM speed
RAM timings
RAM strap
All temps are ok.

What else is there?

Have you tried dropping the voltage?

When I did my E6300... I started with 1.7 VCore, NB 1.45V and started giving it FSB and once it wouldn't post I gave it more volts, but it wouldn't budge and I was stuck at 548.
And then I just decided to try something different... Dropped VCore to 1.625, NB to 1.40 and the rest of the settings to auto... that got me to 560FSB.

Been through it a couple of times, and I'm using the same settings as I did when I ran 620Mhz FSB on this board.

Since you know the board will do 620+, you need to find new settings that will get the chip as high as possible.

Settings that are perfect on one chip =/= settings that are perfect on another.

Make much difference with the Q6600 after a certain temp? other than just not having to worry about CB'ing during the runs.

Not really. I got most of my boints out of it at -125°C. I wasn't able to clock it any higher when I got it to -183°C.

Appreciate all your help guys :)

However , I've tried with lower Vcore, PLL and VTT without any difference. I've tried to give it 1.8Vcore but that gave me BSOD instantly.

I played around with the PL settings, and setting a higher PL gave me less stability?

I'm using the build in SetFSB on the Rex ;)

I don't think anyone has asked this...

Stepping? Revision?

Oh.. And I think there may be just one thing left for you to do... Send that chip to someone else that runs 775 so they can do some more testing on a different board.

Back