• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spontaneous voltage death on AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Well the only spontaneous death so far was a mobo header... During my session last night which got me NOTHING, one of my CIVE's fan headers did its best firework impression and shot a pretty good flame/spark. It actually made me jump.

However my question is what voltage is pretty likely to kill an AMD quad under LN2? I'm looking to give my 975BE that voltage -.01 later today, and see if it can get 7Ghz. It is not very strong, but I did see 6.8Ghz yesterday... Need to switch OS to get CPU-Z dumps that validate. (I'm on stripped XP - grabbed 10 dumps yesterday, all were corrupt)

I'm not sure... On ln2, I would be pushing as much as possible. Especially given that I've run 1.85+ on DIce... on multiple occasions. :chair:

I don't know that you will kill it but, you will not see any gains after going up so far.

find your max hz, then bump V up, find your max hz then bump V up.....
repeat until smoke.

Last edited:
find your max hz, then bump V up, find your max hz then bump V up.....
repeat until smoke.

I was doing that a bit last night. Just very impatient with this chip, and haven't seen anyone running 2v, tho I've seen others in the 1.9s.

Completely depends on the chip. I was playing with a 1090T that actually started to lose MHz with more than ~1.8v. I think the extra voltage was doing nothing but warm up the core. So, in my experience , sometimes more voltage isn't better. That being said I haven't been able to kill my TWKR, 965, or 1090T with voltage.

Thanks all. Didn't take it above 1.95V tonight. My highest CPUZ was obtained at 1.8V (6859Mhz). :shrug: Highest frequency I saw was 6925, but didn't get a dump grabbed.

And you wonder why I'm very shy when it comes to voltage...

Thanks all. Didn't take it above 1.95V tonight. My highest CPUZ was obtained at 1.8V (6859Mhz). :shrug: Highest frequency I saw was 6925, but didn't get a dump grabbed.

Great OC nonetheless Matt.:thup:..would you say that would be doing nearly 7 Ghz on a CPU using LN2 last year this time?
Must say you must be one of the few that jumped on OCing and an exponential rate:salute:

It's also great to see Glorious Leader back to overclocking hardcore like years past. How long had it been before the second half of last year IMOG?

I had never overclocked before really. I had an A64 winchester core and an athlon xp that I overclocked a couple hundred mhz - never really needed more speed. I've historically been more into cooling discussions, as well as troubleshooting hardware and OS issues. Always like the spirit of overclocking, learning from people here, as well as the way people treat eachother around here.

Took the 975be back down to -190C this morning, and was having trouble running superpi at 5.7Gz. Was also having trouble just getting the frequency back up to above 6.3Ghz (system was locking up at 6Ghz, nothing else running, safe voltages and frequencies this should have been a walk in the park). Could be the mount got loosened up with moving it around, or could be the voltage burnt it out last night... I'm guessing the chips fine and its just other issues. I only messed with it for about 30 minutes earlier, trying to get superpi runs in before shipping the team pot out.

You guys are probably right.

But I had it sitting upside down all night with the 300CFM squirrel cage blower pointed directly at the RAM slots and pot. So it got about 8 hours of thaw time with pretty good air pressure/volume. Normally I'm good to go by the next day when I do that, but I'll tear down tonight and give it one last go. Tomorrow this pot ships out.

On the upside, word on the street is expected Asus mobo shipments have arrived for some already which means my MIVE should be on the front porch any day now.

Unfortunately, I checked my batch number and it looks like I have a costa rican chip without any reports on performance - "3103b307". Could be good or bad, no indications I can find anywhere on the net.

The issue is ice that may have formed under the insulation, airflow won't get rid of that.
I've found straight up ice cubes on my r3e before :p

Back