• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Requirements for Bigadv

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
I'm trying to spec out a new dual xeon 56xx box and I was under the impression that bigadv requires about 1gig per thread - and based on that suggestion I would want at least 24GB of ram for a dual 6-core (24 thread) system. However, I noticed on my i920 with 8GB ram top reports core a5 is only using about 13% of available ram. I've only looked at it a couple times lately, so I may not be getting the full picture, but it raises the question if that memory estimate still holds true, or is that no longer the case?

I'm trying to spec out a new dual xeon 56xx box and I was under the impression that bigadv requires about 1gig per thread - and based on that suggestion I would want at least 24GB of ram for a dual 6-core (24 thread) system. However, I noticed on my i920 with 8GB ram top reports core a5 is only using about 13% of available ram. I've only looked at it a couple times lately, so I may not be getting the full picture, but it raises the question if that memory estimate still holds true, or is that no longer the case?

You can do it on 3. I'm using 4 on one i7 as one stick is out for RMA

Rest of the machines have 6gb and are triple channel

No PPD drop on my 920 when I went from 6GB to 3GB, I thought there was one 2684 WU that was RAM limited and slowing down, until I realized my cat or wife started Prime 95 in the background somehow :rofl:

Back