• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fitting a PC heatsink and fan to a PS3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sethcathison

Looking for some advice

After repairing my ylod PS3 (heating the gpu and cpu with a heatgun, then using arctic silver 5 and cleaning up the fans etc) i found that after about 10 mins of use the ps3 fan would ramp up to the loudness of a hairdryer. the PS3 didnt actually overheat with a warning message but the loudness was annoying.

I decided I would try to mod the ps3 to fit my own heatsink and fan
I went for putting a heatsink and fan on the cpu and one on the gpu
i got the heatsinks from a compaq evo D510

the heatsinks are rivetted onto 2 copper plates i made (with a layer of thermal compound ) and the copper plate is bolted through the system board like this. THe cpu and gpu sit nice and flush with the copper plate

15dt2bm.jpg

I then fitted a couple of PIII 12v fans on top of the heatsinks and running without the control wire plugged in so i assumed they would be running at full speed. Would this be the case?

anyway after testing I found that the PS3 would overheat after about 30s and switch off. the original ps3 fan was exhausting the hot air off the heatsink and my modification i have tried blowing cool on to the heatsink and exhausting the air from the heatsink but both methods gave me overheating issues so I need to try something else.

Would I be better to use something like a socket 775 fan like this without the copper plate?

$%28KGrHqF,%21i0E1MgCLM5GBNZn7q%28iNw~~_12.JPG

I could make up little aluminium extension brackets to extended the heatsink holes so that the heatsink could sit directly onto the cpu or gpu

the ps3 cpu is 40mm x 40mm and the gpu is 41mm x 41mm

How can i be sure the fan is running a full speed ?

PS3 fans 'might' be 5VDC. So they would spin slowly. Don't think those HS you put on are capable even with the fans you used to keep it cool.

I think the intel way might be intersting.

Got a old PC PSU? Jumper the PSU to keep it turned on and try the fans directly off the PSU instead of the headers on the PS3

Ohh you did around on Google? Think there might be plenty of info on dedicated PS3 forums. Not much console action here.

Even tho it would be fun to WC my 360, DD makes a case for it, but too much hassle.

PS3 fans 'might' be 5VDC. So they would spin slowly. Don't think those HS you put on are capable even with the fans you used to keep it cool.

I think the intel way might be intersting.

Got a old PC PSU? Jumper the PSU to keep it turned on and try the fans directly off the PSU instead of the headers on the PS3

Ohh you did around on Google? Think there might be plenty of info on dedicated PS3 forums. Not much console action here.

Even tho it would be fun to WC my 360, DD makes a case for it, but too much hassle.

I have a 12v feed on the ps3 (it tested 12v with a multimeter)
I have tried google but there isnt much although i did find this video on youtube which claims to work:

does anyone know what dimensions of the socket775 heatsink where the heatsink touches the cpu? as mentioned in my OP i need it to be at least 41mm x 41mm
according to wikipedia socket 775 cpus are 37.5mm square

those little heatsinks you put on there look pretty crappy...are they even bigger than the stock ones

You might look at trying one of the 1U heatsinks on this page at CrazyPC. Be aware they are going out of business and they are taking 50% off at checkout too. But I don't expect them to be around for buying much longer because of the sale either, so if you want to try them, order soon.

Back